Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Hamp

Keyboard Pull Out as Trash Receptacle?

Hi Folks!

I’m thinking about getting some kind of cheapie computer desk as a tying station. I know a bunch of folks here are using them. I’m just wondering if the keyboard pull-out works very well as a trash receptacle.

Thanks!

Hamp

Pretty good idea! You can also buy the keyboard pull-outs as an add on for your desk. Cut a large hole in the middle of the tray and hang a bag of some sort under it. OR get one of those "under the counter" metal baskets that attatch under the desk. OR ............

Great idea about cutting a hole and adding a canvas bag! I was just going to stick a shallow cardboard box on the shelf but was worried about knocking it off. The bag would solve that completely!

I have a 2" x 8" cutout on my tying station that a basket (no holes) is directly under. It is held up with two rubber bands going from hooks that are affixed to the underside of the table. Easy to remove and replace, stays in place well, and is a really nice little garbage "trough" ror my fly tying and rod building needs since I do both at the same desk. I dont like my "garbage" falling right in a bin...I like to inspect it before it gets swept away. That way i dont have to sift through an entire basket every time i drop something. My tying desk is also an old piece of scrap counter top with milk crate legs and about 3 feet of pegboard for the back with about 10 in going down behind for side to side stability (all held together with a LOT of zip ties...which make it sturdier than you would think) I did the project for less than $10...i "borrowed" the milk crates, the countertop was free scrap (you should be able to find some cheap at a hardware/lumber store) the pegboard was from a bed loft i used in college, and the zip ties, metal straps (loops for the underside of the pegboard for the ziptied counter to milkcrate joint) and the hooks for the basket holding bands (those canvas with metal hook drywall ones). Computer desks will work great but I found the height of this one perfect for me as well as within my freshly post-college price range

I use a simple throwaway Glad food storage container (not the bags) for a waste receptacle on my fly tying desk. I also have a waste basket under the desk.

Nice idea! My tying bench is in my woodshop, so I generally use the floor as a trash recepticle. The hose from the central vac reaches there easily enough.

I used the key board slide and turned it into a drawer so I could store more goodies. I have one of those bags that mounts to the shaft on my vice for trash.

A bunch of great ideas here! I agree jbarnick … I like to take a look through my trash before dumping it. Since I started this post I found a sewing table gismo that I sort of like the looks of but of course it doesn’t come with a keyboard pullout. Decisions Decisions!

Hamp

I used a old keyboard pull-out for my thread storage. Just added a couple of small wood dividers, and the spools lay in very nicely. And it holds alot of spools. Keyboard pull-outs are available as a separate item from Rocklers woodworking supplies.