Fly Tying
anieman

spinner wings

I was wondering what you guys used for the wings on your spinners. I've been using white antron, but I am wanting to try something new. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Austin

White Poly Yarn is our main material of choice, Krystal Flash is another for smaller flies, a material called DNA, Grizzly Hackle wraped as hackle then split is a great one, so hackle tips, and woodduck brest feather.

Joe Fox

Austin, It depends on the fly your tying. Here in Michigan one of our 1st. popular hatches is the Hendrickson and by simply doubling up the hackle and using hackle to match wing length. Then just trim top and bottom and your good to go

Bruce

try DNA...polar fiber

it's the best stuff i've ever used for wings on a dry

stiff but not too stiff, and it doesn't flop back and wrap itself around the body ...and you only need a little...sparse wings that don't fall apart or react like a wet taco

I think by reading through this topic you'll see that there are a lot of options out there. I use HIVIZ alot for spinner wings, as well as dun wings. I also like poly yarn and z-lon

Thanks for all the help. The flies im tying are very small(20- 28), and the main problem I'm having is what Ted said, my wings are folding over on to the fly.

Austin

A couple other things you could use are calftail might cause a bit too much bulk but if tied spares would work great. And C.D.C.

For very small flies ( #20- #26) I prefer CDC,provided you can find feathers with barbules of a decent length. I strip two bunches of barbules from the quill,align them "butt" to "tip" and tie them in...then,they can be either clipped or pinched to size. On larger patterns,where CDC is not an option, I'll use poly,but it must be the RIGHT poly!! Some that I've used in the past is just too dense,and/or winds up kinking and curling up,after a trip or two to the water! Just the other day,the very last fly shop within 50 miles of me closed it's doors :( I went there two days before closing looking for some deals but everything had been pretty much cleaned out...I DID however find some stuff that looks alot like Z-Lon,only with a finer texture. It turned out to be PERFECT spinner wing material!!! Stupidly,I removed it from it's original package,to put it on a rack that I use for such things,and I believe I DISCARDED THE BAG IT CAME IN!!!! Should I be able to find it,I will let you know!!!!

PS: DID find some SA fly lines at 1/2 price,at the closeout sale!!

I used to hate when wings folded back, but I started tying them in different and it reduced the amount of "fold" a lot. Say you're using HIVIZ or even Mallard flank fibers for the wing.....Hold the bundle above the tie in point so the long ends(what you'll be using for the wing) are out over the hook eye. Tie the bundle down. Trim the butt ends(on the rear side of the bundle, hook bend side), then divide the bundle to get each wing and figure 8 wrap a few times. Hopefully that made sense.

With the fibers tied in pointing forward and pulling them back against the direction they're trying to already go, they will fight the "fold effect" of drifting in the current more than they would if you tied them in by holding the wing material across the shank and figure 8 wrapping it on.

Last time I was at the fly shop i picked up some tan CDC and I think I'll give it a try even though its the wrong color, just to see how well it works.

OLB- I really like your idea and Im definatly going to try that.

Thanks

Austin