Fly Tying
miked

playing with glass beads

Well I finally decided to enter the world of glass beads.

On Sunday I decided to take a look at a bead store here in the town I live in, just to see what they had. Well of course I could not come home empty handed! lol!!! Satrted playing around with em last nite and gotta say that they are nice to tie with. A little tough at first, especially in the small sizes. But once you get the hang of it they are quite easy.

Here is just a little simple fly that I've tied as a first try.

IPB Image

Not much, but hey doesn't always take a super fancy patern to catch fish!

Mike

IPB Image

I use these for both glass and metal beads, they come in kind of handy, especially when you accidentally open your bead box upside down!

I've been using glass beads for a long time and really like the various combinations and effects you can achieve with them. Hope you enjoy the experimentation as much as I do. Look forward to seeing more of your beaded flies!

IPB Image

Someone on this site has a really nice damsel fly nymph with an extended body as well.....Kerry

Those are some nice tweezers! Where'd you get em???? I picked up a pair of very small needle nose pliers at the bead shop but they are just straight, they don't have the indentation. Only thing I'm wondering is how big is that indentation??? Will they work with the really small beads????

Mike

i know Micro-Mark tools has HUGE line of different types of thweezers including ones alot like those

they are bead nabbers by Jade I believe. They are great for all sizes of beads. Not that expensive either. If you can't find them at your usual shopping site you may find them at www.flytyingworld.com

I've been using glass, pASTIC , METAL WHATEVER I CAN MY CHEAP little hands on really

the craft store beads are a lot cheaper than flyfishing store beads. B

I too have gotten into beads lately. Nice glow, easy segmentation. Check "My Patterns", I've got a couple in there with glass beads.

Also, check the dollar stores. I picked up packs of 4 different colors for a buck each. Not the same quality as ones from the craft stores, but cheap enough to make it worth it.

I would think J. Stockard is who you should buy them from as I mentioned, the alternate is if you couldn't of course, no offense intended.

The Dollar Store beads are good but the craft stores carry "antiqued" beads which are very different as well as a better supply, but I have quite a few dollar store red and black beads in my drawers. You can find very tiny beads at the craft store as well, #11's are good for extended bodies etc. :)

I used the search link at jstockard to find them, $12.95

You can make a pair of tweezers that will hold beads very easily. Simply dip the tips in Daves Fleximent and let it dry. May need a second coat. It will dry to a soft rubbery texture which will hold the bead securely. I made mine with the tweezers that stay closed but you squeeze to open. That way you can grasp the bead and then lay the tweezers down while you fool with the hook.

Dave