Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
DaUP

Short week turned into an extremly short week

Fortunately, I've not been in a situation that calls for such a response, but I hope I would also be one to stand up for someone else. I think all too often people don't stand up for eachother.

But I'm a little concerned with what I read. There is a fine line between defending someone and becoming the problem yourself. One leads to thanks, and the other to jail. From what I read here, had you been of age, you most likely would have ended up the second.

Granted, I wasn't there. But please, take care of yourself as well as other people (including the problem people). Make sure you don't cross the line and become the problem yourself.

Just learn a lesson from it.

That guy did something, you responded, you got punished - unfortunately thats the way of the world, and part of becomming an adult is that you have to learn to deal with and live in such a world.

Now was the three day suspension worth kicking some twerp's ass - probably, on Thanksgiving week, Hell Yeah. Eventually you will most likely want to continue your education at some point (or get a job, join the military, etc) and this will come up and you will be questioned about it. Again no big deal, but something to consider.

The most trouble I've ever been in I got in because I beat the snot out of a guy who had just stabbed my brother. Seems justifiable but society is extremely hypocritical even though this was in High School it still comes up whenever I go to Jury duty and I was refused by the Big Brother organization because of it - in Oatka's example had the guy killed the would be rapist he would have gotten in trouble - undeservedly so but he would have.

Our society is run by a pack of pussies.

Well put Sean, When I had that incedent in highschool, I had to appear before the school board, and I said to them If that was your daughter you would have been glad I took the actions that I did, and I said I done what I felt was right, for the simple fact I was raised to never touch a female out of anger or aggression, it did cause some small problems with my schooling, but nothing major. Also I was told if the kids parrents tried to take me to court, I would have won the case. Byrons situation could have been self defence, and the only he recieved the 3 day suspention was cause its manditory. I dont fight anymore, unless its absolutly a must, or in a ring, because now that Im at the age I am, it results in jail time, and some heafty fines, and simply is not worth it, unless I am getting the $hi% kicked outta me.

As for that pussy that left that girl to get raped, I feel he is a coward, I would have more than likely have been killed in his situation, cause I wouldnt have given up my wallet to begin with, I would have just told her to run, and then done what I could have to beat the guy to a bloody pulp, I guess that would have been poor judgement on my part, but thats the way I am.

DAUP-Trust me back in the day I would have done the same thing, but now that I'm older I like to think I have aquired a bit more "experiance" and know whats right and wrong to do. So with that I will say this....

Things arent like they were back when I was a kid. Back then you could get into a fight and it was just that, a fist fight. Now'a days though kids are shooting/stabbing each other over little trivial things and you honestly never know who is dumb enough to bring a weapon to school to get some payback. So I may sound like an old guy here but so be it. I see alot of replys saying "yeah good for you"....well those people saying that wont be at your funeral if something bad happens. And maybe this kid you punched is not the kind of kid to do something drastic for payback, but you never know if the next kid might be that kind'a guy. So choose your fights wisely.

Steve, you read my mind. Well said my friend.

I'll add this quote from James Baldwin: "A hero ain't nothin' but a sandwich."

Steve hit the head, you are not being old, just smart from being around the block one or twice. The consequences for doing the right thing can get down right costly. Sometimes, one must do what one must do. Just choose wisely and look for alternatives. Being a smaller guy, I usually found a way out before physical violence was the end resort.

As for war stories, my father always told my brother and I (more me :dunno: ) that if we ever got arrested, it had better be for the "right" reason, or we were rotting in jail....helping a person in big trouble was the only reason we ever heard from him. We never doubted him. My younger but bigger brother :ph34r: did put that thought to the test. He stopped a woman from being beaten by a "man"....there was a crowd, but no one stepped up, except my brother. He ended up in the back of a cop car while the "man" and two of his friends bleeding on the ground. Dad picked him up from the cops at the scence and no charges were filed. BUT he was very lucky. Too many crazy people with guns without remorse and the law is not always gentle...

umm is it a bad thing i dont know where the SAP(student assigned placement(light punishment)) room is located in my school? ok so i actually do but its just cause i have a class on the stage in the auditorium and for some reason the SAP room is just off stage left and has a door connecting it to the stage. but back in middle school in 7th grade i had to ask the teacher where the SAP room was when she asked me to take an assignment down there. but then again ive lead and extremely sheltered life thus far, my mailbox is 7/10 of a mile away, thats just my private driveway, and my closest neighbors are my grandparents. :innocent:

just remember you had two choices

a. :boxing:

b. :boxed:

well have a happy long week off lucky :headbang:

i realize what i did was probably not the best choice but in the heat of the moment it what i ended up choosing... i'm not proud by any means after sleeping on it over the night i realize that if i would have continued walking away and just sat down nothing more may have happened

i agree with what everyone is saying i realize that in todays society there are a few sychos i hope i never have to fight again because i think next time i wouldnt be as lucky...

one thing i do notice the older i get (yes i realize im still very young) is how messed up society is...kids being babied by their parents so they take every teasing from students so literally that they feel threatened when its nothing more that kids being kids.. a spineless community who stands by and watches as a person or group is singled out and beaten or ridiculed (also applies to groups the government singles out) I feel if society doesnt grow a spine and stand up for people other than themselves that we are headed down a long road of violence that will keep repeating itself ex. Sapnish Inquisition, Salen Witch Trials, Communist Witch Hunt of the 1950's, and now todays hunt for terrorists

DaUp,

You've gotten alot of good feedback that both affirms your actions as well as encouraging you to think about the future. Good advice in my opinion. I was a scrapper in my younger days and without a doubt would have acted as you did. I did grow up and I guess my approach these days is a little different. I need to vent/rant just a bit: when the day comes when a man won't stand and defend the honor of a woman that is a sad day. Too many people today don't want to get involved. Little wonder there is so much abuse among women and children. It seems to me the strong should protect the weak. That's why I'm trying to be buddies with FlyTime (Dustin) because, while I've never met him, he reminds me of Chuck Norris, Stephen Segal, and Jet Li all wrapped up in one as a tight coil that, when it goes off, it's like the Tasmanian Devil from the Looney Tunes.. Kidding aside, any man who would desert his date and leave her to be raped .... how can he look at himself in the mirror and call himself a man?

About 5 weeks ago I was traveling out of town on business and stopped at a McDonalds to eat breakfast. An older couple (mid-50's) were there with their grandkids. One of the boys (3 yrs old) started climbing on a display and grandpa gets up and pulls him by the hair on the back of his head all the way to this seat. 2 minutes later the other grandson (3-4) pokes his head out of the playroom and gramps walks over to him, jerks him around, and hits him on the butt so hard he came off the ground as he was propelled forward and landed on his chest and face. I could not believe it. What to do? Something? Nothing? Restaurant was filled with people and no one does a thing. I walked over to the man and woman and said "You have some really beautiful grandkids, they are full of life, and you are treating them like they don't even matter. Don't let me see you put your hands on them again while I'm here." I was gentle, but firm. Their faces reddened, and they were both ashamed.

I may have been out of line, but what I saw was abuse, not discipline. I have not been that angry in a long time. 25 years ago I would probably have grabbed the guy by his hair and hauled him outside and beat him up a little bit.

I guess what I'm saying is I applaud you standing up for the girl and defending yourself. Was the beating you gave too harsh? Hard for me to say because I wasn't there. If you had the same scenario come up a month from now would you react differently or the same? Steve was right ... when I was in HS it was knuckle and skull. Nowadays you never know what to expect.

Hang in there, try to enjoy your break, and have a good holiday with your family.

Kerusso