Fly Tying
Peterjay

Snow and Ice

Looks like winter has arrived big time, at least in these parts. No snow here yet, but with the frigid temps we've had this week, it seemed like the perfect time to start a winter thread. I found some interesting ice patterns behind our house this afternoon just as the sun was going down. Can't wait to get out there in the morning and see what else I can find.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

I love it peterjay!!!!

I wanted to capture a window frosting i was stuck looking through the other day. Those are just what my brain needed :blink:

Very nice pics!

Those are really pretty pictures. What are we looking at that has frozen, water in a lake, trough, farm tank, ditch, or what? Whatever, I really enjoyed seeing them. Down here, we might get to see a freeze that really does open water ever couple of decades, and usually, not even that often.

Thanks,

Chris,

The flies came into today. THANKS!! I will give them a tryout as soon as I can. I'll be on the coast sometime before too long, on the Brazos here at Waco, in Oklahoma in January, and at Mountain Home, Arkansas in March, so they should get a workout.

Thanks again,

Ray

Thanks guys, glad you liked the pix. They came from a drying-up streambed in back of our house - there's only water there when the river is high - right now it's just a few puddles. Seems like puddles have the best ice designs - maybe it's because the water level keeps dropping. (?) Went back out this morning and the ice had frosted over during the night - couldn't even find the spot. I guess you've gotta grab 'em when you can. Chris, you've gotta get that camera back - the best is yet to come.

she let me barrow it :D ?? I took these today while out at work.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I'm glad to hear they made it Harold Ray. Takes a while with all the x-mas mail i guess. Good luck and tight lines. As you can see by the photos my fishing has slowed quite a bit (still have winter steelhead in feb.)

I realy hope they work for ya.

chris

Peterejay, your latest avitar is a neat amallgum of canine and roan. I realy like it. very yin yang in a biologist sort of way.

WYKnot, your picture says it all, and nobody knows more about cold than a man from Wyoming. Chris, glad you like the avatar - I shot it thinking that my wife coud use it as a logo for a Christmas serial she's doing that features our dog Smokey as the hero. Unfortunately, one of her designers had already come up with something and I was too late. (As usual LOL) I agree with SD about winter pix (great avatar BTW) - I never get tired of photographing snow and ice - seems like there's something different out there every day and it just keeps changing by the minute.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

These are some photos from the trip we took in October. I posted some of the fishing pictures in an earlier thread. These are a few of the more scenic type.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

this next one isn't so much scenic as it is my friend playing around with snow sticking to his boots. He got it up to about twenty inches before he lost his balance and it all came crumbling down.

IPB Image

The only real problem is wet hands getting cold. Numb fingers do not cooperate real well when trying to get a fly on the line.

This trip the fishing was tough because the river was really low and the water very clear. We spooked a lot of really nice looking fish. I was skunked but I tend to spend more time with my camera then actually fishing. Everybody else on the trip caught a few fish.

Other trips during the winter we have had great luck. It's just my opinion but to me it seems snow and ice doesn't really effect the fishing much. Like other times it all depends on what the river is doing.

One really nice thing about the snow is that river gets heavily fished when the weather is nice. Can get crowded sometimes. A little snow and you have most the river to yourself.