Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Vitali

Tread is breaking

Dear All

I am very new to fly tying, just at the very most beginning.

I am facing problem I cannot figure out.

I am trying to make Hare's Ear in size 14 . My 6/0 thread is breaking very easy, even too easy. All my tools and materials are from Orvis. Bobbin is very simple Clearwater model, entry level. My personal feeling is that bobbin is too hard on holding spool, but I cannot adjust it. Pipe though which thread is coming seems smooth.

Is something wrong with my bobbin ? How is it possible to check or fix ?

Any word of advice will be very much appreciated

Just to get a couple of flies under your belt you could go

with 3/0 thread. Then, when you have a little more experience

controlling thread tension go back to 6/0.

Ultimately you'll want to get hold of a ceramic bobbin - then

you can be safe in the knowledge that it's not the bobbin

that's breaking the thread.

IM not familiar with that bobbin but I know that I have trouble with danville thread in a standard griffin ceramic bobbin. the spool is so wide that is causes to much tension and causes breakages. what kind (brand) of thread are you using????

If they are wire bobbins you can spread the arms apart some which will create less tension on the spool. I remember breaking thread alot when I first started(I still do at times) but found with practice you will get a feel of how much tension you can put on thread before it breaks.

One thing I can recommend is maybe trying a different thread I have good luck with utc others have good luck with dan ville. I hated dan ville. Some threads work well for some people other not so much... So maybe the Orvis brand thread is not best for you. Even though it is just silly thread, feather ,fur and fluff they are all tools and some tools work better for some things and some people better than others. Just a thought..

Maybe a good question for you to ask is what thread do you use and why?? I like UTC because it lays flat like floss and is very strong. It comes in 18 colors. But it doesnt spin hair very well. in my opinion. Everybody is different we each need different stuff to tie the same fly!!

If it is just one spool that is breaking, chances are good that the thread is bad, wshich happens occasionally. If it is happening with every spool of thread, there is either too much tension on the bobbin, or there is a burr on the metal tube (assuming it isn't a ceramic bobbin). In that case ther are two possible solutions: 1) polishing the burr out ( I personally have never been successful at this) 2) you can very carefully epoxy a glass bead (make sure the hole going into the bead has rounded edges) to the end of the bobbin...now you have a bobbin much less likely to cut or weaken the thread.

Mark Delaney

P.S. I use most brands of tying thread, but it looks like my favorite (Gudebrod) may be getting out of the flytying thread business.

I'm guessing there are 2 problems

1) Do NOT hold the bobbin at a 90 degree angle from the thread. The Orvis Clearwater bobbin does not have a ceramic bead or tube. So the angle should be say 135 degrees or more, so the thread does not rub against the exit point of the bobbin tube. Put a ceramic bead bobbin on your list of stuff to buy some day. Until then use the bigger angle.

2) Loosen the bobbin tension. Do this by carefully spreading the arms that hold the thread. You should be able to pull down and have the thread unspool, under tension. You can place the small finger on your hand against the thread spool to modulate thread tension if you need to. Look at the thread. Is it frayed? That comes from overheating in storage, which would indicate the thread is old. Also be sure the thread comes right off the spool into the bobbin tube intake, without getting wrapped around the bobbin armature. This tangle sometimes happens if the tension on the thread is loosened, and then the bobbin is picked up. When you let go of the bobbin while tying, let it dangle from the hook shank. I know the spinning is distracting, but do not rest it on the table.

Tight threads

-E

Dear Ephemerella

I have tried to use your advice and I was doing good until I get excited it actualy works :D

I have to be just more carefull and practice more

Thanks everyone for your adevices and attention to my question

none of my bobbins are ceramic

All you need is propper control. get a big hook, like 1/0, start your thread, and wrap a little

not too tight, but snug. Now make a wrap, and break your thread. break it a few times until you know your limit. now dont make your wraps any tighter than that. also, if the bobbin has wire arms that you can bend a little, bend them out a bit, also, a little wax, or if you really cant bend them, WD40 on the ends where it touches the spool

hmm when i want more thread i just backroll the spool. i use ceramic griffin bobbins ( ceramic tip,or tube ). doign this i never had a problem mahself-jason

edit- I havent had a roll of danville yet that been worth 2 cents.....try useing UNI thread and see if it breaks then.....i cant recall ever breaking 6/0 ....8/0 is what i started useing though (and still do on the dry's and tiny wets)-jason

man you guys are just cutting my Danville thread to ribbons :( (pun intended) I've used that stuff since day one and love it dearly but have also used several other threads with varying success as well but seem to alway revert back to the good ole Danville I know and love. I guess we go back to what works for one may not always work for all.

Exactly Some tyers love it some do not. It is the same wit uni or utc some love it some do not. It is about what works best for you.. Im not cutting it down danville is a good product. It just dosent suite my tying for what ever reason I break it like crazy!!

Just a quick note about this. I have been tying since I was 10 years old (over 22 years now) and I seldom break thread. I had thought over the years that the thread and tools must have got better because I can tie so much better now than I use to.

I was recently teaching my 3 year old how to wrap thread on a hook (you have to start some time right? :headbang: ) and when she grabbed the bobin she snapped the thread like it was made of butter :blink:

I didn't realize how sensitive I have become to my tension I keep on my thread until I seen my little girl break thread that I thought was pretty tuff like it was made of cotton candy or something. The moral here is; make sure you have good materials and tools, after that just practice, practice, practice. Some day you won't remember the last time you broke a thread while tying. B)

Termite