Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Jeffs' Nymph O

I'm heckling for hackle help

:unsure: ....

.....My streamers are beautiful.........my nymphs are unstoppable......(thanks to you guys)

I need a hellbound hackler to heal my helpless hackling hump :baby:

....I guess my dry flies are OK ....but I would love to hear any and all advice :dunno:

....also, I thank all of you .....I don't post often.... but I read this board all the time and I have gained a lifetimes worth of knowledge ....thanks guys

if you could describe the problems you are having or post some sample pics it would be easier to give advice/tips

Hi Jeff,

I'm with Joe, a picture of two would help. On dry fly hackle often it is easiest to first learn how to wrap a palmered hackle like on an Elk Hair Caddis. In time the tighter wraps like those on a Royal Wulff will be easier. With out knowing a specific problem, hackle quality is one of the first things that come to mind. If your feathers are twisting/laying down on the job then you may be fighting poor quality hackle. I recomend Whiting saddle hackle for dry fly tying; that's all I use. Yes, there are other companies that produce good hackle and there are others that do not. It takes a lot of skill and experience to FORCE a bad quality feather to do a good quality job. It require much less skill to wrap a feather that lays in place as it was intended. Whiting fits that bill! (By the way, I no longer work for them; I'm now just a happy customer). Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

im a proud supporter of Conranch Hackles. they are a private business, and do not sell to major companies. they only sell to you, the customer, and their necks are high quality. visit http://www.conranch.com. that is their website. all the information about thin stems, oval stems, high barb count etc. is not a sales scam...its all true!!! :D and they are not too pricey B) ! Another good quality, inexpensive neck is Keough. i also have one of their necks and love it. then there are the more higher quality, way more pricey brands like Metz, Whiting, Hoffman, etc...

just get some good quality hackle and practice.

then there are the more higher quality, way more pricey brands like Metz, Whiting, Hoffman, etc...

just get some good quality hackle and practice.

I have to disagree with Whiting being a more pricey brand. Their dry fly hackle starts at $22 per rooster cape and $15 per saddle in their Hebert line. The only thing that changes as the hackle grades go up is feather length. That being said the Pro Grades are still longer then most other brands. The higher grades to cost more but you are able to tie many more flies per cape or saddle and that makes your per fly cost drop.

Joe

yeah when i was writing that...i was thinking that witing wasnt a realy expensive brand, and wasnt sure wheter or not to add that, but some of their stuff is pricey, especially for a low budget fly tyer (me). the 100 packs are a very good deal though.