Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Par_Spots

East Tennessee mayflies

I'm new to trout fishing, and consequently, I'm new to aquatic entomology. I live in Texas, but I visit eastern Tennessee and fish the tailwaters there (S. Holston and Watauga) for a day or two every couple of months. I have been trying to learn about the life cycles of the mayflies of those waters, but I only know the common names of the insects. I was hoping that some intrepid entomologist from that area could shed some light on the scientific name of the BWO and the "sulphurs" of that area. I would assume that the BWO's are a Baetis of some sort. I have no idea about the sulphurs. I'm trying to learn where (riffles vs. slack water) and how the different species emerge, as well as the behavior of the nymphs (swimmers, clingers, etc.), but it's impossible without the scientific name. If someone could help me out, I'd really appreciate it. Sorry I don't have pictures. I'll try to take some next time I'm there.

Thanks!

PS-

Blue Winged Olive (BWO) species in Tennessee are Acentrella turbida, Baetis tricaudatus, Drunella lata, and Plauditus punctiventris. Sulphur species in Tennessee are Epeorus vitreus and Ephemerella dorothea dorothea. Hope this helps.

That does help a lot. Now I have something to start working with at your site and at the Troutnut website. Thanks, Roger!

Another good source for hatches but doesn't have all the scientific names is:

A Smoky Mountains & Southern Applachians Fly Hatch Schedule

Produced by Ken Snelling

Critical Acknowledgement: David Etnier, Ph. D., Professor of Zoology, The University of Tennessee

Published by Graphic Spirit

BTW, let me invite you farther south to the Hiwassee River. It's in the extreme southeastern corner of the state. Cold water flows from Apalachia Dam in North Carolina and passes over the mountains in a tunnel and discharges above Reliance, TN. Great fishing and lots of nice folks. I'm president of the local Hiwassee Chapter 640, Trout Unlimited. Visit our website at www.hiwassee.net for more info. We have folks from Texas and many other states that come up and fish the river. Y'all come, y'hear?

I have another source for sugguested patterns and primary hatch for each month. It is an older book but I bought it about 2 years ago

"Smoky Mountain Fly Patterns"

printed Old Style Printing 1992

Another really nice area to fish is the Tellico Plains Tn. There are 3 rivers there, Tellico, North and Bald. The local fly shop is Tellaquahoutfitters.com. These rivers are very challenging and can be quite technical.

Hi Roger and all. Just stopped in for the first time. As a Tennessee boy transplanted to Pennsylvania, it's neat to see some folks from my old neck of the woods are doin' some fishing. I hope to get back down sometime and check out some of these waters. Tight lines, ya'll.

Hi Louis-

Welcome aboard, not that I have any special standing here. Can I assume you're the Martinlf I know from another site?

Hey,I just moved from East TN.Usually around this time i see a mayfly around 2 inches long and tan,I have no idea of the scientific names but in the summer thats what I tie.Hope this helps,Zip

Par Spots-

It reminds me of a "touch and go" landing. Definitely not his style. Perhaps Louis forgot to bookmark the URL; must be time to rattle his cage again.

Hey guys, I thought I had replied to this one. Lately I've been so busy that even my comments in Troutnut, which is my home forum, have been very brief and limited in scope. I am indeed the same martinlf, and I hope to get back into the swing of things in spring. Administrative tasks as departmental chair are keeping me tied up, plus, of all things, I'm teaching some extra tutorials--including one in Latin. It's lots of fun, but the work seems to never get completely done. I haven't even wet a line in months, nor tied a fly. Nihil sine magno labore vita mortalibus dat. --Horace

I did dream of fishing last night, though. --Louis