Fly Tying
DrLogik

Head Cement Preferences

Head Cement Preferences  

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Since perfecting my whip finish I don't bother with head cement.

I have a blue bottle of "head cement stuff" I use. The label came off and I don't recall what brand it is.

For flies that I fish with I use Behlen String Instrument Lacquer. It penetrates very well, but might be toxic.

I think I paid about 5 dollars for a can of it several years ago, more than a lifetime suppy too.

I use Minwax Polycrylic as a base coat on everything. Water based with no smell, penetrates very well. If I want a buildup a coat of Sallys or hard as hull.

I have been using Loons hard head for 7 years, i get a good build up and a nice clear finnish with it without any strong fumes. I have my fly tying table in the bedroom and the wife complains if i use normal varnish.

I use Zapagap thin & Sally Hansens>Pretty much satisfied with them.That said I never heard of ProLac or Fly-Tite..Where can it be found .May like to give either a shot.FD

I prefer no cement. When I did use it, I used Flexament. Before that, I tied a lot of bass flies and loved regular old superglue. On nymphs and dries, I don't bother. A couple of good whip finishes and into the box.

I use Loc-Tite super glue on the zebra midges I fish. Other than that .. I don't use anything.

Mike

When I started tying, I was introduced to UNI-Lak and have always liked it, Then I started using Sallys, ZapaGap, and Loon UV.. Plus an assortment of colored nail polishes. I have recently went to use my UNI-Lak cements and found that over time they have thickened and became stringy. Anyone use this product and any way to properly thin them? I have like a dozen bottles in different colors and would like to salvage them.. When they were new, They were perfect consistency and I don't understand why they have become thick and stringy over time. I've tried stirring and shaking so it's not just that it has separated or anything.

Anyways, i'm still fairly unsure of what cements I prefer most as I have been trying every technique that I can. I still would like to try the Cellire and Kelsons recipe lacs.. Plus I have heard of a few secret recipes that are used on classics that I would like to eventually try..

IMO, it all comes down to a consistency and color preference. They will all work, but it will depend on how it feels for you to work with and the color you are trying to achieve.

Cheers,

Chris

I really hate to have to clear cement from the eye on the stream. So, I whip finish and done. It's not like a fly lasts that long anyway. Hopefully the fish will chew it up and if not, it's not that important a fly anyway.