Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Din

Pheasant Tail Nymph

First I want to thank all of you who take the time to respond to everyones questions. I know I greatly appreciate everyones help and suggestions, as I have no one to compare my flies to, or tie with.

Here's some pheasant tails I tied up. How do they look? I think they are not bad for my 1st attempt. Question about the wings, what i have done is just split them hold them back and wrap with thread wraps, is that okay? doesnt seem right to me when im doing it....

IPB Image

IPB Image

Din,

For your first flies you have tied up some wonderful flies. Fish them just as they are and they should catch fish. As for splitting the legs off the wingcase it looks to me as if you've done a very good job. About the only constructive criticism I would offer would be the length of the legs and tail. I would shorten them both. Have your tail extend over the back of the hook about 1/4 inch. On the wingcase, I like for my legs to go back no further than where the body and wingcase meet. Someone else may suggest something different, but all in all they look fine. Fish 'em and see how the fish respond.

Good luck,

Greg

Great flys! They will certainly catch fish, heres a few things I would suggest:

1) Leave out the legs, they just add extra complication to the pattern and it will be just as effective with out.

2) The tails "should" be about 1/2-1 shank legnth long.

Other than that, those are grat flys, go and fish them!

To make things a trifle easier for us to see, is it possible to use a contrasting background rather than one of a similar colour to the flies, your photo's are very good indeed and show the flies reasonably well. However it may pay to look at some of the others on the forum - say those by Graham on the realistics section to see what I mean, he also writes in the photgraphy section of this forum and his flies are well, not on this planet to say the least! John. Keep at it, we'll have trouble keeping up with you at this rate.

The way you describe the doing the legs is the same way I do it. I tie mine on 2x or 3x long shank hooks. It makes it easier to get the proportions of the body, thorax and head looking right without crowding things; however, I don't think it will make one iota of difference to the fish. :D

I agree with the guys , flies look good for the first go at it . As for the legs I start out with long when I tie them in then just trim to length, I go to about were body and wing case meet. And some times the legs dont make it on the fly. B) steve