Fly Tying
panflyfisher1

bowfin/ dogfish/ mudfish

first time I ever saw a bowfin iwas snokeling. I must have gotten to near nest cuz the thing came after me. scared the hell out of me. I didn't know what it was. I had to go look it up. it was all kinds of cool neon colors, big, and mean looking. I got outta there quick. it definatly was not afraid of me and I was in no mood to get bit.

first time I ever saw a bowfin iwas snokeling. I must have gotten to near nest cuz the thing came after me. scared the hell out of me. I didn't know what it was. I had to go look it up. it was all kinds of cool neon colors, big, and mean looking. I got outta there quick. it definatly was not afraid of me and I was in no mood to get bit.

yeah i hear ya. i got my foot really tore up swimming one time i must of swam over the nest i swam to shore with her still on my foot. I was bleeding like crazy. needed alot of stitches to fix it.

the one you seen must have been a male the get pretty green colors on their bell when they are spawning.

'round here we call them grinnells (grin-nul). Don't know why, that's just what I was told when I moved here. I used to catch them on plastic lizards and spinnerbaits in my hardware chunkin' days. I haven't caught one on the fly. Yet.

I caught one last year on a yuk bug (wooly bugger with lots of rubber legs). If have also caught a few on bluegills. In this one spot I fish it seems 2-3 times a year when I hook a bluegill, a bowfin comes out and grabs him. Usually scare the $%^& out of me.

I've only seen a bowfin once. It took my bead head black wooly bugger....then it tossed it quickly. :angry:

If your fishing for Bowfin, fish something really really big. I don't think it matters what you fish as far as flies, these things are carnivores, and ultra defensive if you happen to close to their mating grounds. All the ones I have caught have been in pursuit of pike or bass, and hooked Bowfins on accident.

Make sure you have a leader that is good and teeth proof. Those things are ridiculous, and remember if you have one and you think it's dead, it's not, those damn things live forever.

checkout this website you might be able to find something.http://www.bowfinanglers.com/

My girlfriends family has a cabin on a little lake that is full of dogfish. Supposidly from what some old timer said its suppose to be a world class dogfish lake. I see them once in the while in there but Ive seen picks of big ones that have come from there. I dont know how big they get but these were nice fish.

Undertow

You should see them hit the surface!!!!! I had one one for a brief fight last summer Im sure Ill have a shot this year they are strong!!!!