Fly Tying
Alex C.

Memory Cards

I am looking for a good memory card for an Pentax Optio w30. Right now I'm leaning towards this one

Sandisk 1GB Ultra II (SD) Card

My first question is do you think this is a good one, or should I go with something else? My second question is are all SD memory cards the same size(will they all work with my camera?)

One other question- How many pictures will a 1GB card hold for a 7.1 megapixel camera? I plan on using the video feature a lot too, would I be better off going up to a 2GB or 3GB card?

alex,

i believe cards are a standard size, the world is confusing enough.

i think that brand is a common one. available at a lot of box stores.

1gb is even bigger than what i use at 6 megapix............

imho, it all comes down to how many clams you want to fork out...............and how long you want to take to clean out the card and store them on some other device.

good luck.

camoham

I am by no means an expert on digital cameras, but my cell phone has a digital camera in it, and it takes a "micro" SD card, and that is different from a "mini" SD card, and of course both are different from at least the SD cards that make those "micro" and "mini" by comparison.

So, just any old SD card might not be what you are looking for....except many of the "micro" SD cards I've looked at for my phone do come with an adapter to make them fit in a "standard" SD card reader.

Did I confuse you yet?

The cards are the same size Alex. I just purchased a 1GB card to have in addition to the 2 512MB cards I already have. I do not know for sure as I have not maxed it out but it should hold well over 200 images...not so much on the video obvioulsy. How much video yuo get will depend on the compression qulity and framse per second you record at.

Hey Alex, I prefer name brand cards lime Sandisk and Lexar, and the II series have pretty fast write and download speeds. How many mb of memory does an average shot from your camera consume? Then divide that into 1mb. I have four 4gig CF cards, and can take 156 photos on each card. My cam stores two files for each shot, a 6mb jpg and a 16mb RAW. These are average numbers because the memory needed to store a single frame is based upon how many different colors are recorded. At least thats what I think, because file sizes do vary. I would suggest keeping your camera set on highest quality, you'll get fewer shots on each card, but they will be easier to enlarge and print. If I set my camera to disable RAW, and change jpeg fine to low, I could probably take a couple thousand shots on a 4gig card. Luckily memory card prices have dropped considerably in the past year.

I am looking for a good memory card for an Pentax Optio w30. Right now I'm leaning towards this one

Sandisk 1GB Ultra II (SD) Card

My first question is do you think this is a good one, or should I go with something else? My second question is are all SD memory cards the same size(will they all work with my camera?)

I'm currently using that card in my Nikon D40 DSLR. No problems so far and dont expect any. Sandisk is a leading brand name.

One other question- How many pictures will a 1GB card hold for a 7.1 megapixel camera? I plan on using the video feature a lot too, would I be better off going up to a 2GB or 3GB card?

Depends on quality. See page 31 of the manual.

Just got the w30 in the mail today.

I just bought the new Pentax Optio W30 and went with the 2Gig SanDisk Extreme III. The card seems very fast, so the time between photos is very short. I think I can take 30 minutes of video with this card on the highest resolution and highest fps setting.

I am very happy with the new camera.

Oh, one more thing. The SanDisk Extreme III card supports the new high definition file format (SDHC). I was a bit worried that the new Pentax camera would not support the new format, but was happy to see it listed on the front page of the operating manual. The card works fine with the W30 waterproof model.

2 Gig cards for $30? Good heavens. Time for me to get shopping again. My camera takes "memory sticks" and I'm always bumping at the limits because I like to keep too many pics on the camera.

My new computer will be here soon... I paid a few extra bucks for a "10 in 1 data reader" or something like that... I'll be able to just plug the memory stick in and upload. That'll be nice.

legitimate question from a 35mm-type guy:

So, does using a dinky 3.0 or 4.0 Kodak easy share I got from Santa Claus offer the same ability to use a 1gb card as do all those other super fancy jobs? I have one 256 card and obviously have no clue how much space it uses each shot.