Fly Tying

FTF Feedback Needed

The virtual classes are awesome. Unfortunately my senior moments hit me at the worst times and I need refreshers on certain types of flies. How are you coming with being able to record lessons and setting up a virtual library of classes? Could they be hosted on something like youtube and the links set up in an archive here?

This is the best site of this type that I've ever found.

I would like to see more flies displayed on the screen when navigating the fly pattern database. It currently only displays 16 flies at a time and it gets a bit tedious to navigate through them.

When searching the pattern database, I would like to have "Tube Fly" as a choice in the "Fly Pattern Type" category. When a pattern is uploaded into the database, you can specify "Tube Fly", but this category is missing when searching for them. I generally do a search on the word "tube", but it gives many non-tube fly results.

It would be nice if the fly pattern database was in a more printer friendly layout. Is there a way you could format the page so that the page could easily be printed (without the advertisements at the top and bottom of the screen).

I would like a different voting system for the FTOY contest. I was thinking something like, if we could choose our five (5) favorite flies in the first round and assign each a value 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. The second round could then be for all of the flies that got through round one. In the second round we could get only choose three flies to go on the the final round (again assigning a value to the vote). The flies in the final round would be only have a single choice for best fly (whatever that is). The flies with the best combined scores would then be judged First, Second and Third place winners (or gold, silver, bronze). Perhaps this is too complicated, but you asked...

Any want a monthly photo of Steeldrifter wearing a bikini?

I can arrange this.... :ph34r:

I love the site. Nothing in functionality that I would change.

Add an image database for materials. There was a rather long post in the Classic Salmon fly forum that attempted to capture about 60 types of unusual and interesting materials for Salmon flies. Essentially this is the fly pattern database with different attributes.

Also a way to capture tying steps, especially where new or unusual tying techniques are kept. Video results in lots of data, but stills are easily uploaded by tyers.

Fix the member map.

Automatically create small name badges with FTF logo and avatar, so members can find each other at shows, conclaves, etc.

Add a forum that is just show listings, with of course info about where our members can meet each other in person and see each other tying, if they are featured in a show. (like Somerset in NJ in Nov, for example).

This forum has really become the graduate school for tying. By now I've probably learned the equivalent of 10 years and $1000 in lessons.

-E

This is strange.... all of this positive feedback and the one guy who tells you how to run your site is missing?!?!???? Will Im having fun and learning lots keep it up

This site is great, but it's the people who make it so. The whiz-bang stuff is just the cherry on top!

That said... for the pattern database, what I'd like is a link from the pattern to the thread that's automatically generated when the pattern gets uploaded. They must be in a table somewhere. Sometimes those threads don't have much in them, but sometimes they're loaded with extra tying tips, fishing advice, variations, etc. etc.

this ones been killing me for a while will, in the database if youre on page 1 you cant click page 2 at the bottom, if youre on page 3 you cant click 4 and so on. it drives me absolutely nuts because i normally check in there once in a while and would like to start at the beginning and make my way through until i start seeing ones ive seen before. maybe a "next" and "previous" button at the bottom. other than that FTF is GREAT its just that one little thing that bugs me whenever i get around to it.

make functions work for all browsers. i get that IBP warning as shown below when trying to do a pattern search

click to enlarge

IPB Image

add a "delete post" function so we dont post something twice by accident.

try out different background color combinations. you dont have to keep it just try it out.

maybe a new forum called "fly tying knowledge base" that has all of the pertinent stuff associated to fly tying such as bead size charts, hook comparison charts, lead wire size charts, thread size charts, seed bead size charts etc etc etc.

just some thoughts

One more idea for the pattern database - for all of those incredibly gifted tiers who tie for display rather than fishing, how about a target species of 'fishermen'?

I really like mnortons idea of a member of the year but i would more like to see it as a moderator of the year and only nonmoderators can nominate and vote on who might get it. You guys do so much behind the scenes and don't really get anything from it and you deserve a little something even if it is just a cheesy plaque or a box of flies with a little inscription that says "Moderator of the Year 2007" or something to that effect just a way for all of us to say thanks and good on ya for a job well done or whatever maybe even one for each site even. What do the rest of you nonmoderators think?

Steve