Fly Tying
Dan-Versacorp

Comments please

This is a pattern called Griffith's Gnat. It is a quite simple pattern. I tied over 10pcs for the same pattern to practise myself. I want to hear different voices about my tying. Please let me have yours. I have 6 pictures from different angles for your to see clearly.

post-11315-1180103945_thumb.jpgpost-11315-1180103990_thumb.jpgpost-11315-1180104007_thumb.jpgpost-11315-1180104023_thumb.jpgpost-11315-1180104038_thumb.jpgpost-11315-1180104052_thumb.jpg

Hook: Mustad 539 size 14#

Body: peacock herl

Hackle: grizzly

It's a very nice tie...I love fishing Griffiths Gnats ...keep going with it........My $.02 would be that your hackle is too big for the hook size. I tie mine so that the Hackle tips are equal with the gap of the hook. And I would also palmer my Hackle so I could see more of the peacock body.

Nice tie!

I will have to agree with FLYGIRL, although I do at times use over size hackle for a little more attraction or float sometimes, most of the time I do try and keep it about hook gap size. I would also show more herl, other then that the basics looks real good.

Jeff

Nice start. I would agree also about the hackle length . I would also try to make a smaller head. Try to keep your head wraps small , just give your peacock and hackle about two wraps each. You just need to hold them inplace till you whip finish, remember when you whip finish your adding thread also . B) steve

I don't use very much hackle.to let the herl come through, but to each his own,

regardless i bet your fly will catch fish,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,B

i have to agree with a couple of posts above: hackle is just a tad too long and its not grizzly hackle (the standard for the pattern) although it shouldnt matter. the hackle is wound too close and does not let the peacock herl show thru.

see here: http://hipwader.com/2004/tying-griffiths-gnat-pattern

Really nice job on the pictures.

Interesting comments from everybody, and I'm glad I read through them since I need to tie up a mess of these.

I was reading a Lefty Kreh book where he says he fishes the smaller ones (size 20 and up, I think) with just hook and hackle... no peacock. That's a man whose done a whole lotta fishing.

My advice on fishing these is to cast it out and if it's not working on rising fish use your nippers to trim the hackle at the bottom so the fly sits down in the water more.

Thank you for your guys kind comments.

Today, I finally found out the problem about my tying. I do not use the genetic hackle to tie a dry fly pattern!!! It is the reason why the hackle of my pattern is about 2 times longer than the hook gap. Wish your guys know there is no genetic hackle in China.

Most tying books never discuss the genetic hackle cause it is very common in fly tying. Everyone knows it but me :dunno: . Even though I have chosen the smallest rooster neck feather. But still it is too long to be a good dry hackle. According to my tying material, I have to say the wet fly maybe is easier for me to prastise tying.

Thanks again guys. I really appreciate your kind help.

I've been tying for more than a year, have had many very kind people give me samples of genetic and other hackles to try out, and I still think I know about 1/500th of what I need to know about dry fly hackle.

Trim what you have there with a scissors... especially at the bottom which you should trim nearly flush. It'll catch fish.

Good luck on your hackle hunt!

I will take a try to trim the pattern a little bit and see what happend :) . I am afraid the trimmed pattern looks a little weird :dunno: . I will post the trimmed pattern later.

Go from sparse on the hackle at the tail and abdomen to full [ two close wraps] behind the eye. Maybe four wraps or five wraps total. If the head becomes crowded you can sometimes use a metal tweezer hair packer to slide the fly back on the shank just a little and still get a good head. Take the fly fishing.

The only comments I would have on this fly,have already been made above!! Using a "genetic" hackle will help things, in every way! The real reason I am weighing in here,is to mention once again,that the Griffith's Gnat is one pattern I will not go astream without....any time of year!!! It has saved many a day for me!

Sulphernut

personally, i don't tie a grifithes gnat bigger than a 18, but a pretty nice tie.

JZ

Nice tie, I also think the hackle might be a size too big, but let the fish be the final judge. If you are a new tyer, then I compliment your patience and technique.

If you plan to fish the fly as a dry (on the surface) then the length and density (number of wraps) of the hackle in your photograph might cause the fly to float at an odd angle, even on its "tail". Toss one in a bowl of water and see how it rides.