Fly Tying
JSzymczyk

another deer hair / GSP thread thread....

I've been messing with deer hair bugs for many years, off and on. I can hold my own making durable, fishing quality bugs that perform well. Just today I made a "brassie" style hair packer from a couple pieces of feeler guage, and spooled up with GSP 200 denier thread for the first time.

All I can say is- if you are at all serious about making spun deer hair flies, YOU NEED THESE TWO ITEMS!!! I was surprised at the performance- the same exact hair I was cutting with 3/0 monocord and 6lb fireline just flared and spun nice with the GSP. Using the packer which pushes back the thread wraps along with the hair made my first bugs out of the vise easily 50% denser than before.

For a spool of thread, it's expensive but worth every penny. For a piece of bent brass, the tool is a stroke of genius. I won't go back to any other stuff now. :headbang:

VERY glad to hear this!! I recently purchased some GSP but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I have also been rather dissapointed with the hair packers I have used thusfar,whether I bought them,or improved them out of household stuff I had lying around...I always wondered how those "brassie" packers worked....I always thought that I would either bend,or break them...(I pack like a maniac!) As I recall,they are not too expensive to buy from the manufacturer. Thanks for the info!!!

Sulphernut

That brassie hair packer looks pretty hot. I assume you use it from behind and then put your fingers/knuckles on it and push?

Cheap, too!

Have a link to GSP?

here is my home-made brass hair packer. Not pretty but it works very good. I intentionally made it so the two "jaws" overlap, giving nearly full contact around the shank and leaving no gap for hair to slip through. The pieces are .014 and .016 brass from an old feeler guage. It's the work of a few minutes with a dremel tool.

JStockard sells the GSP. I bought a couple spools of the 200 denier. It works.

post-10077-1180399652_thumb.jpg

post-10077-1180399677_thumb.jpg