Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sniksoh

trout flies

im headed to colorado in a few weeks and i was thinking of trying out some fly fishing for trout...i have never trout fished before and was wondering if someone could come up with a small list of flies to tie for this time of year for trout...can anyone help?

thanks,

sniksoh

In a few weeks? I haven't fished Colorado but i've sold flies there. I would say at that time of year most of the hatches are gone but hoppers, beetles, and ants should be good.

Hatches gone? Not so much really. July should bring us Drakes, more Caddis, the beginning of Tricos, leftover PMDs AND Hoppers, Beetles and Ants. Sort of depends on where you'll be fishing of course, but the fishing should be very good.

Tell me where you're fishing and I'll try to help out.

Charlie

take some #10 through #6 woolly worms in black, olive, and yellow all with grizzly hackle. Some with bead heads, and some without. A few small #10-12 woolly buggers in black and olive. A few smallish marabou streamers in white, black, and gray. Some hopper patterns, and maybe some small #8 or #6 clouser-type bucktails tied shorter than you would for warmwater fish.

If you can't catch at least a few trout with those flies, there aren't any trout there.

No real fishable numbers of cicadas around here, although I am certain the fish would eat a cicada pattern given the chance.

The Big T and Poudre...both great smaller waters. Attractor flies with a bead head dropper catch about all you can handle. Fish a matching bug during hatches, but other than that a Stimi with a small Coppper John or Micro May underneath will wreck 'em. A black foam beetle is another favorite of mine.

the fish in both the Thompson and the Poudre will eat streamers quite well on an overcast day. Standard buggers work fine, maybe throw a curve with a Slumpbuster or Platter River Special as well.

Charlie-Loved your article on the charlie boy hopper!

Been nailing the browns on the lower Poudre with bead head Prince nymphs, caddis pupa pattern and chartreuse copper john. Have caught some nice ones too recently. For dries, try the stimi (orange), elk hair caddis green drake or PMD. I haven't had as much success on drys because I can't figure out exactly what they're hitting and they are picky. Good luck.

Here is a list of flys that I always carry with me during the summer months. While I can not attest to what will be happening in colorado on any specific river these should cover your basis. Most of these patterns are very simple to tie, just vary the color and size and you should be fine.

X-Caddis #14-16 tan and olive

Sparkle Dun #18-14 vary color according to hatch, most likely pmd, flavs, and maybe some drakes

PT nymph #18-14

Z-wing caddis #18-14

Birds Nest #12-16 tan & olive

take some #10 through #6 woolly worms in black, olive, and yellow all with grizzly hackle. Some with bead heads, and some without. A few small #10-12 woolly buggers in black and olive. A few smallish marabou streamers in white, black, and gray. Some hopper patterns, and maybe some small #8 or #6 clouser-type bucktails tied shorter than you would for warmwater fish.

If you can't catch at least a few trout with those flies, there aren't any trout there.

You could replace "trout" with just about any inland fish and your statement would be right!

Very good list, though. I was going to chime in and suggest the buggers if nobody had, yet.