Fly Tying
crappiekid24

Flies for Bass and Panfish

What flies can I tie with marabou and chenelle other then a wooly bugger. I have a limited amound of dubbing, deer hair, white bucktail, dry fly grizzly and wet fly grizzly and wet and dry fly hackle.

What I would do for the pan fish and even bass is tie up some poppers. Balsa is real cheap or better yet and old wine cork. You can shape it, slice it and put in a hook, and tie on some marabou and have at it. I just love taking panfish on top of the water this way. My favoite colorsa are red and/or yellow.

Ted

PS: If your not 21 go with the balsa. :D

T

What I would do for the pan fish and even bass is tie up some poppers. Balsa is real cheap or better yet and old wine cork. You can shape it, slice it and put in a hook, and tie on some marabou and have at it. I just love taking panfish on top of the water this way. My favoite colorsa are red and/or yellow.

Ted

To build on what Ted said you can also make poppers out of craft foam, like you get in the crafts section of Wal-Mart. It's really cheap and there are hundreds of pattern possibilities with it. I get my foam at the Dollar Tree in big packages for, you guessed it, $1.00 or I go to Wal-Mart for specific colors that don't come in the multi-packs. Have fun!!

Terry

As Terry suggested, foam with what you already have should give you plenty of options, poppers, hoppers , definitely try gurglers, foam humpies etc. Mix the colors up, get creative and have a blast.Yellow foam and green bodies is a winner for my gurglers. Get them in the water and hold on!!!

Have a good one

Pat Carroll

Have a look at these hoppers that are very easy and should take a piece of yellow foam available from any craft store or most Wal-Marts.

http://georgiariverfishing.com/GAarticles/...pper/Hopper.htm

They look great and are simple to make also. I make mine with a wing from Deer hair instead of the flash but most anything will work. These are much easier than the balsa to me and cast better in my opinion.

I like the looks of that one, Matt Inman. I'll have to try some of those.

Here's a link to one that has been VERY productive for me so far this year. I got my first one in a fly swap here and have since tied up a bunch of them.

Stealth Bomber

Thanks guys for all the suggestions! Keep them coming. I will definatly have to try these! Looks like I have to make a trip to the local BPS to pick up some more tying materials.

crappiekid24

nice flies. thay will catch gills, carppies, and bass i tie some like that . for the bass i would go to a size 4 for bass. just my two cents.

Girdle bugs will catch anything that swims!! All you need is your chenille and some thin pieces of rubber. A fantastic warmwater fly. I tie them up by the score and give most away to kids (and adults) I see flyfishing at the local lagoon.

Where to get thin rubber? you ask.

Cut up a koosh ball, I say!

HairyMara Slider Uses marabou, and deer hair. If you have a bungee cord laying around you have enough rubber leg material to tie a thousand of them. The eyes and legs are optional anyway. Though I believe in rubber legs!

As I said, the eyes and legs are optional, though I believe rubber legs are a good feature of many warmwater flies. If you are strapped for cash, or far from a fly shop, two conditions I mostly always am, the rubber strands that are the meat and potatoes of most bungee straps make excellent leg material. Some have flat rubber in them, so look at the end that is exposed at the knot that secures the hook at the business end of the bungee strap. Dollar store ones usually fit the bill. You will usually find white and black round rubber, though other colors sometimes are found. of course some Sharpie work will make the white ones any color you want. Fabric stores like Joanns sell small packs of doll eyes for about 59 cents.