Fly Tying
VERN-O

Which do you prefer

Pedestal vs. C-clamp  

323 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Need to move my vice around quite a bit (need space to build rods etc) Made myself a pedestal from an old marble fireplace. It's got a lot of weight and I have to be really heavy handed while tying to get it to move around.

post-2328-1185702418_thumb.jpg

I have a cheapo clamp vice, but think I'd like a pedastal better. I often wish I could shift it around just a tad for various flies.

Clamp. I have clamps for my Nor-vise. I have always used clamps for my previous vises. I can't comment on pedestals as I have never used them. Maybe I should buy one & try it out on one of my other vises.

Warren.

I actually prefer both. It really depends on what I'm doing and which vise I'm using.

When I tye at shows a lot of the time they have tables that are too thick for the c-clamp ( this also goes for picnic tables when camping). So, what I do is this; I take a 3/4"x 12"x16" piece of pine board and c-clamp that to the table with larger c-clamps that I bought from the local hardware store. When I tye on my Renzetti Master a base is too high. This way, I can adjust the vise's height and also create a small shelf for my tools to rest on out of the way. I use this same method if I'm using my Griffin Oddysey Cam vise and it works well.

When I use the Norvise to tye with, It comes with it's own travel bag and board (base) to set it on. This system is convenient too.

I seem to have to cut most 3/8" vise stems down to get them at the right height for me to tye with if I use a base. After a while of using them (bases), I seem to get a pain in my neck and upper back. It seems as though at the awkward height your arms are like "hanging in mid-air" which increases in being unconfortable as you're tying for long periods of time.

I voted pedestal, only cause I dont own a c clamp right now. Although if I did have one, it would be split. Theres times when a c clamp would be an advantage here at home, as well as tying away from home also.

Pedestal here. I'm one of the guys Paul mentioned that has a "Bigfoot" base on my Renzetti and love that base. It weighs a full 6lbs and doesnt move even when tying deer hair and pulling hard on kevlar thread. I got mine of ebay for $16 about 3 years ago but you can still get them on ebay for between $20-$25 now.

Steve

I actually tie all mine in my fingers without a vise so... neither!

J/K! I love my pedestal Dyna-King. :)

danvise both with big foot pedetals. i like moving things around when working with the materials before applying them. the pedestal makes that possible. if your moving this base around while wrapping you must be tying with wire.

Bud

I started on a C clamp Thompson, and replaced that with a pedestal mounted Thompson pro 35 years ago. I have a C clamp Regal, and never use it any more. All three of my other vises are pedestal mounted, I have no problems with the stability of a pedestal vise. I have a fly tying desk with a pull out (keyboard) drawer, which lowers the vise and brings it out closer to me. I find it very comfortable. Use to get tired tying on top of a regular table or desk long term. For portablility I think the pedestal is the way to go. I have found its pretty hard to mount a C clamp to a lot of forrest service campground tables. Many of these in my part of the country are concrete and 3" thick.