Fly Tying
Mokai

Macro Photography....

That's a great story Graham, and it sure rang a bell. When I got my first SLR, I wanted to do wildlife and classic landscapes. One day I happened to pick up a photo mag that contained some of Brett Weston's work, and I've been looking at the world through different eyes ever since. Amazing how these little accidents of fate can put us on paths that we hadn't planned to travel.

Nice Jim, I really have a fondness for dragonflies, such amazing creatures.

I like this photo, but putting my spider on a piece of thread to simulate a strand of web was not my idea.

IPB Image

The thread idea came from the advertising minds at House of Hardy in England.

This spider has been in full page ad's in Europe for close to a year now, and to top if off, I got my spider back, as well as a Hardy Angel 7/8 fly reel as a thank you for sending it to England for a photo shoot.

Here's a link to the Ad.

http://www.greysfishing.com/index.php?if=page&pid=88

I've felt pretty proud about this for a while now, don't mean to show off, just sharing something good. Poking through some of my macro photos reminded me of it.

How long did it take to tie those up Graham? Very cool to see the original layout spread that Hardy did. Thanks for linking the image. That is an awesome add!

Mantis

IPB Image

Here's an attempt I made last year with a different black widow. Should have used some fill flash, and a live wasp instead of a dead one...

IPB Image

Whenever I see photo's like these posted I wish that I had a dedicated Macro lens.

I'll get one, but a quick fishing adventure starting in 3 days, and a 645 film camera come first.

Graham, you sure have talent there.

You know, I just went out and took a few pictures of a matis. She let me pretty much put the camera in her face. The wife asked if I was going to put in on the site, I said maybe. Then I see Graham's pic of his Matis, maybe not :bugeyes: Well see, I'll go through them all and pick the best one. My camera is only a point and shoot, but it does pretty good.

Ashby

ok, like I said, I have a point and shoot camera, Fuji Finepix F30. For a point and shoot, it's awesome, but will not hold beans to Graham's Macro lens. Here are three of the mantis pics I took. I think they turned out ok.

Ashby

post-3929-1190685738_thumb.jpg

post-3929-1190685765_thumb.jpg

post-3929-1190685802_thumb.jpg

I hope that you don't mind Ashby, but your second pic was crying out Process Me...... So I did :)

This is what I came up with

IPB Image

If you want the full sized image it's located here

All that I did was reduce the noise a little, then darkened the shadows, and played with the contrast a little.

Heck no, that looks awesome. After I looked at the pics on my wifes computer I realised the noise needed some reduction and color. Glad you did it, and it looks great, thanks.

Ashby

This is just too cool, great shots guys.

little laker, your shot is eye candy, super sweet.

Ashby, you captured some sweet poses, really great stuff. I want to try tying that critter. Did you take any shots of the underside? Do you still have the bug?

Graham

No Graham, after I took the pics I took him to my wifes rose bush and let him go away from birds eyes. I didn't get any underside shots of him. Now I wish I had, that would have been cool. After Little laker cleared up one of my photos, I decided to try out some small adjustments of my own. The color version on the second pic you redid in just beautiful, so I left perfection where it is, but I had fun on the other scope. These are not negatives, they are just readjusment of the hue settings, and a noise reduction on the one photo as well. Hope you like them.

Ashby

post-3929-1190698573_thumb.jpg

post-3929-1190698602_thumb.jpg

post-3929-1190698629_thumb.jpg