Fly Tying
Mokai

Macro Photography....

Did some Macro photography today while on my lunch...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Post some of your own here if you like..

Wow!! Sure wish I could get that close without the magnifying filters making the picture all soft on me. Sure like that second bee shot! Great job Mokai!

Here's about the best I can do with the new lens, for now...

Ernie

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Now those are some pretty cool pics. Almost too close for comfort with those bees. Here is one of a moth I took while in the desert. I have never seen a moth with these colors, or colored quite like this as far as pattern goes.

Ashby

post-3929-1190435177_thumb.jpg

That's pretty neat, a moth in it's own form of desert camo. I can see how it would be hard to spot from a distance.

Ernie

Nice pictures guys, real nice. I like this one, a bee in my back yard, which wouldn't stay still long enough, until, I placed a tiny drop of maple syrup in the middle of the flower.

IPB Image

And a fly...

IPB Image

:bugeyes: WOW Graham, those are some pretty nice pictures. Lover the close up of the fly, all those colors. All this time I thought your avitar was a fly you tied up, now that is one heck of a camera.

Ashby

Wow Graham!! I don't know what you use to do a Macro like that but that's impressive and then some!! You must have a microscope attached to your camera body. :lol:

Ernie

Graham Graham Graham!!! maple syrup you cheat!!!!!!- here the rest of us are working au natural and you resort to that.

TY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for the heads up lol- thats a great pic:)))

great thread:)

Will

Graham Graham Graham!!! maple syrup you cheat!!!!!!- here the rest of us are working au natural and you resort to that.

That's nothing Will. You should have seen the stuffed owl he tried to pass off as a wildlife action shot. I've maintained all along that Graham stuffs his bugs with HGH and anabolic steroids until they tip the scales at 20 pounds apiece. That black widow of his will probably devour half the dogs in Southern California if it ever gets loose.

I've maintained all along that Graham stuffs his bugs with HGH and anabolic steroids until they tip the scales at 20 pounds apiece.

I think you may have found his secret Peter!!! Super sized bugs! :lol: :lol: Oh well, it still makes me wish I had the skill to take pictures like that. Well done Graham! Never thought of the maple syrup, I used drops of sugar water to slow them down a bit.

That hopper pic must have taken a lot of patience Will. I can't get to within 2 feet of them before they bugger off. Congrats on that pic!

Ernie

Here is a little guy I just happened to find one day while taking pictures of my wifes flowers. I didn't think I would be able to get this close, but it looks like it worked pretty good.

Ashby

post-3929-1190617054_thumb.jpg

post-3929-1190617072_thumb.jpg

post-3929-1190617088_thumb.jpg

Hey guys, lay off Graham. We all know that those are not real bugs, but flies he tied and is now trying to pass off as real bugs. of course, most of us believe they are real because they look so real! and as far as cheating with maple syrup....that's not cheating...that's brilliant!

A real nice collection of photos here. I love it. Thanks for the spirited remarks, I'm starting my day with a big smile.

For the fly closeup I used a 200mm macro lens and 25mm extension tube. The red eye'd flies hang out under the orange trees in my backyard, and feed on fallen fruit. I used the same lens without the extension tube for the bee.

When I bought my camera my interest was just on doing macro insect photos and photos of my flies. But, one day at the river, white shooting orange dragonflies a white egret landed about 15 feet away from me, and didn't notice me until it saw me taking photos of it. I took a series of photos, including a long curved neck pointing in my direction and a look of sheer surprise on the birds face. I felt so happy to have photographed this bird, and it was close enough that I had to cut off some of the birds legs because the frame was full. That day sort of changed everything, and my focus was on birds instead of bugs. Now that I think about it, I haven't done any of the things I planned on doing when aquiring my camera, like taking new photos of my flies as well as various stream insects. At least I have lots to look forward to. Now that I think about it, I took a nice series of super closeup shots of Hex mayflies in NY this summer, and need to process those and post them. I took shots filling the frame with the entire bug, as well as getting closer for various body sections.

Graham