Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Suggestions

Okay guys need some advice. I'm thinking about asking the family for a good camera for Christmas. Here's the deal. Right now I have basiclly a point and shoot type (Olympus D-460). it does the job but I'd like to get something a bit more..."advanced" I guess is the word. Few things though. I know ZERO..that is 0 about dig cams, when I hear Graham and Will talking white balance, exposer, timeing whatever yada yada it goes right over my head :lol:

So what I want is something to take in my vest for fishing trips, as well as to help take better pics for my rod building biz. So I guess what I'm asking is...what's a good (not "too exspensive") Dig cam that will be better pics then a normal point&shoot, yet wont have a manual for all the funcitions that will give me a headache??

Thanks

Steve

To give a little more info...as much as I'd like a high dollar dig cam, I think I need to keep the price in the $350-$400 range if thats doable for something like this?

steeldrifter - I own a Pentax Optio W30 (7.1 Megapixel). The camera is waterproof and very well made (aluminum case). It takes great photos at normal ranges and awesome macro photos (focus down to 1/2" away from subject). All of the photos I've posted since March were taken with my new camera. It falls nicely in your price range (currently listed for $250 buck on Amazon/http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-Optio-Digital...4148&sr=8-1)

I have really enjoyed taking this camera fishing with me and not having to worry about getting it wet.

letumgo- Waterproof is something I would love, I always thought the waterproof ones were way out of my range. That one sounds like its well within though, I'll check it out right now. Thanks.

Steve

Steve, the pocket digicams on the market today are so good that you almost can't go wrong as long as you stick to a well-established brand. An added bonus is that they don't really require a whole lot of technical expertise. As long as the manual is written in some form of recognizable English, you shouldn't have too much trouble. If you're upgrading from a 1.3 MP camera to a 6 (+-) MP camera, you should notice a big difference in image quality, but anything beyond that probably won't make much difference unless you're planning on making big prints. I have some 11X14s that I shot with a 5.1 MP Nikon Coolpix that are more than acceptable. B&H offers customer reviews on just about all the products they sell, and the reviews are a lot less technical that what you'll find on the "real" photography websites.

Id suggest giving the Pentax WPs a serious look. I havent met an angler yet who has one and doesnt love it.

I use the same camera as "letumgo" - Optio W30 waterproof. It is perfect for us fumblefingered photography idjits that wade like drunken sailors.

Additional piece of mind knowing I won't destroy the bloody thing with a misstep. With a 4GB card ($40) it will store 1130 pictures at the highest resolution - that's plenty for an extended outing.

The battery life is good, it'll last for plenty of pictures, or a weekend of heavy use.

If you want water proof then this one is not in your scope. i have the cannon s2Is and I love it the macro and super macro are great!!! Wonderful camera and always rated near the tops of the 3 to 500 dollar range. mine is 5 MP they now make a 6 mp but for what I have no idea 5 is more than enough for me. It also has stereo video and the ability to snap a still while taking a video without stopping.

...the ability to snap a still while taking a video without stopping.

That is a cool feature. I've never heard of that on any other digital camera. That would be really useful for parties and when filming while playing a fish on the line. Neat.

Hey SD check out Olympusas well i have onbe that is water proof as well as shock proof (30ft. on the waterproof and 5ft. on the shock proof) Cost me about 300 bucks at the bigest box store in town, but is great and takes wonderful picks as well matter od fact I took both of these with it, and I suck at photography.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Steve

Well I ended up having to buy one myself tonight due to my old Olympus dying on me last week and a few steelhead trips coming up this month I couldnt be without a camera. It's nothing super fancy, but for the price I couldn't pass it up. It's a Nikkon L5 7.2mp. Tried it out tonight just to see how the pics look and they arent bad at all. Plus a 1gb card was on sale for $9 for it so I cant complain. Wont be able to take some of the fantastic sharp pics some of you guys can with your dig cams, but for the small amount of cash it cost I'm pretty happy with it. Plus its simple as can be to use which is always a big bonus for a guy like me :lol:

Steve