Fly Tying
Permit Hunter

When The Wind Makes you Quit.

How much wind makes you cancel?  

123 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If you fish the spring or fall surf in the Northeast, being wind-shy means you miss a lot of opportunities. I just haul out the 12wt and try not to hit myself in the head with a weighted fly. The biggest false albacore blitz I've ever seen from shore occurred on one of the wildest days I've ever fished. Gusty gale force winds that seemed to be coming from different directions every few minutes. I was alone (big surprise) on the west jetty and a friend of mine was alone on the east jetty across the breachway. We both had school after school breaking 10 feet from the rocks for several hours and neither one of us came close to hooking anything but the rocks and ourselves. Still, we didn't quit until the tide turned, which I guess says a lot about our perseverance, or more likely, our sanity. I think the folks with all their screws tightened were watching football that day.

There's a reason I own 7, 8, 10 & 12 wt rods...and it is the wind. Whenever I fish near the beach here in southwest Louisiana, it seems the wind is always in my face. Last time it got so bad that I quit, the reported wind speed was reported at a steady 25 mph...wasn't worth the effort. If you are wondering, I'm currently building an 8-9 wt to fill in one of those gaps (didn't need to, just wanted to build a rod). I can stand about a 15 mph wind without much problem but 20-25 mph gives me fits.

Mark Delaney

Hey guys I saw that "squal" pounding the NE coast last week. I was watching the Weather channel for a few guys fly fishing among that "little bit of wind and rain". Figured you had it covered! :j_k: :D

You watched a weather report featuring winds of over 60mph?

I have to give you credit for that. I assumed the thought of such wind strength would have you culred up in a corner in the fetal position, sucking your thumb. :baby: ;)

After Charlie- Heck YA! Well not quite the fetal, but close!

Hurricane Charley was only 173 mph + according to the American Red Cross t-shirt hanging in the closet, but trying to keep the flying debris away from the house really didn't seem any worse than that 80 mph gentle sea breeze on the TV this weekend :blink: :hyst: B)

if it blows here i just move into the bayous or canals with tree cover . when it blows hard the duck ponds and small bays normally get quite nasty and muddy up the waters quick, the fish normally move into better water and i just follow them, a front came thru here a couple days ago, it was easily blowing 30 knots and i still caught fish in the bayous closest to the bays and ponds.

bud

Once rode out a Hurricane on I.B.S.P. in jersey...didnt use the fly but the pluggin was fun..

post-624-1204374160_thumb.jpg

Calcasieu Lake (Big Lake) in Cameron Parish, Louisiana is famous as the best big speck fishing grounds of the USA. There is serious wind 90% of the time so, if you don't cast in the wind there, you don't fish.

I work 8 to 5 most days so I get to fish Sat. & Sun. and an ocassional holiday , so I will

not let the wind or rain stop me . Lightning is another story.

Over 15 for me, unless I'm in the salt, in which case I stow the 3-wt and 5-wt, pull out the 10-wt and chuck-n-duck-it. :wacko:

Most of the time, I'm at the stock tanks near the house, and the wind doesn't USUALLY pick up 'til after 9am, so I get in up to 2.5-3.0 hrs most days.

I live in South West Alberta, winter Chinook winds 40 - 60 KPH temps 10+c = good fishing..

Summer fishing 100 KPH great fishing weather.. most other fishers off water find a nice sheltered bend in river and fish

Spring and Fall = winds 0 - 110KPH fishing is on ... work the bends and with the wind!!!!

what is the issue with wind...

I wanna be Capt Matt when I grow up. :-) Like Fred, If I get the opportunity, I stick it out. I have quit on a thunderstorm day when I was drawing a small arch from my reel when I wound it. I have stayed out in hail the size of large marbles. I have never fished Salt in a wind more than 10 mph and with a big rod that is not problem. Mostly in the mountains if it gets windy I switch from the 3 wt to the 4wt. I have to giggle double hauling a 3wt.

Cheers, Futzer.