Fly Tying
harleyhunter

My other hobby

Those babies are better than a full security house alarm system. Just post a BEWARE OF DEADLY SPIDERS sign...nuff said!

Sam, cool hobby. Tarantulas are quite benign. They'll crawl on you without hesitation. Just don't piss them off! Is ther a local pet store that orders them for you? I would think Homeland Security might have a problem with them being mailed :dunno:

Later...

All internet bought and good old United States Postal Service buddy....LOL

-Sam

Sam,

Your set-ups look great; you've put thought into them. Going into this type of hobby or raising any type of reptile, bird or animal takes preparation and knowledge. You can't raise them if you know nothing about them. With the more exotic, the reptiles, birds, etc., the secret is nutrition and husbandry. If those aren't right, you have an unhealthy or dead animal. I have never treated spiders or scorpions, but I've treated thousands of birds and reptiles.

Scorpions and spiders are the species I'm least comfortable with. Of the more exotic, I love handling and treating all birds and reptiles. I have got many bird owners bringing bags of feathers in once they learned I tie flies.

Looks like you've done a great job, Sam. I'm impressed and have enjoyed you pictures. What does it cost you to set up a tank, and how much are you having to pay for your new pets? If you don't mind telling that is; I would love to know.

Thanks!

Ray

Sooooooooo, I can send you some Black Widows Sam? :j_k: You're daughters are going to ace the "Show & Tell" assignment :D

Later...

I'm going with a big fat no thank you :o

I'm with you!

Pretty cool though.... In YOUR house...lol

Sooooooooo, I can send you some Black Widows Sam? :j_k: You're daughters are going to ace the "Show & Tell" assignment :D

Later...

I've actually learned that Black widows are popular in the exotic hobby. Many people house them even with there families in the same room. It turns out black widows are not roamers and will be more then content with living in a 5 gallon tank setup to mimic the enviroment it came from and fed properly. They are not known to be escape artist like a few species of tarantulas and scorpions.

-Sam

I just finished the enclosure for my new Venezuelan Suntiger Tarantulas (Psalmopoeus irminia) coming next week.

Enclosure with screen lid off

IPB Image

Enclosure display side

IPB Image

I think they are cool, they don't wig me out. It'd be fun to watch and care for them.

Only one question - you say you are a collector and keeper of exotic insects but these are all arachnids, a separate class of arthropods from insects?