Fly Tying
harleyhunter

My other hobby

Hey guys,

I thought I would just share with you all my other hobby I have been into. A few months ago I started collecting, caring, and raising exotic insects. Here are some photos of my babies. Hope you guys enjoy the photos.

-Sam

Desert Hairy Scorpion (Hadrurus arizonensis)- This is North Americas largest scorpion from Arizona.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Emperor Scorpion (Pandinus Imperator)- This is the worlds largest scorpion from the Congo jungle in Africa.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Arizona Stripped Tail Scorpion (Vaejovis spinigerus)- This one is native to Arizona, New Mexico, & Mexico. She is about 2" long and is gravid and is due in May. Here last batch yielded 52 babies. I'm raising three for my brother at the moment.

IPB Image

Chaco Golden Knee Tarantula (Grammostola auerostriata)- This one is from South America and will grow to 8". This one is still a spiderling only about a year old.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Terrariums

The emperor's home

IPB Image

The desert hairy and stripped tails home (10 gallon split)

IPB Image

BTW There tanks are all setup in my bedroom...LOL

These scorpions stings are actually not worst then a bee sting except for the Stripped tail. Thats a bit more painful for longer period of time. But still no medical concerns.

In the next week I actually may get two young Venezuelan Suntiger Tarantulas (Psalmopoeus irminia) :headbang: :yahoo:

Here are photos from the internet:

IPB Image

IPB Image

that's not unusual..................I've trained little Mathilda to step back in her cave, if I want to open the tank.

I just say:"Where is your place?"...and she goes into her cave

That's one of five, we have...........Hartmut could tell you the correct names, there is another Brachypelma, a Poecilotheria Ornata, ..

If you take care, it isn't such a danger, I'm more afraid of wasps......

Heike

IPB Image

My son was into reptiles for a few years. We had one rule - nothing over 4 ft and no poisonous critters. He had a lot of trouble keeping the lids on things - NEVER got out of bed at night without a flashlight. I HATE snakes. But he also had things like Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches, etc. Interesting place to live until he found other interests.

man i hate spiders. but scorpions are :headbang: ... love reptiles though, if i ever get rich an emerald tree boa will be mine. and if i ever wanna die ill have a spitting cobra.

that's not unusual..................I've trained little Mathilda to step back in her cave, if I want to open the tank.

I just say:"Where is your place?"...and she goes into her cave

That's one of five, we have...........Hartmut could tell you the correct names, there is another Brachypelma, a Poecilotheria Ornata, ..

If you take care, it isn't such a danger, I'm more afraid of wasps......

Heike

IPB Image

Awesome collection of Ts you have there. I think the suntiger is my last on the T's but I want atleast one more species of scorpions. I'm looking into getting a few Fat Tail Red Bark scorpion(Babycurus jacksoni).

-Sam

Well check went in the mail today for my Venezuelan Suntiger Tarantulas (Psalmopoeus irminia). I will post pics when they get here. Now time to shop for some tank decor tonight... :yahoo: :yahoo:

we used to rase snakes we had Burmese pythons red tail boas ball pythons and a reticulated python. they worked well for keeping my landloard out of the house we rented.

But Spyders and scorpions NO WAY. That'll keep me out

Those babies are better than a full security house alarm system. Just post a BEWARE OF DEADLY SPIDERS sign...nuff said!

Sam, cool hobby. Tarantulas are quite benign. They'll crawl on you without hesitation. Just don't piss them off! Is ther a local pet store that orders them for you? I would think Homeland Security might have a problem with them being mailed :dunno:

Later...