Fly Tying
Tybugs1

Camera's

I have been packing the last four years a Sony H2 6mp Cyber Shot. It's been a great camera and easy to use on my guide trips. However, I think there are many Photo's I'm missing because I don't have the options that the SLR's have. I would like to gear up with an SLR.

I have noticed that there are many. I was wondering what everyone would recommend Camera? Lenses? etc.

Second question, I have been using Jasc Paint Shop Pro 9 and Photo Impact 8. Are there better photo editing programs out there and if so which ones? or should I stick with these two?

Thanks for helping n advance. JayMorr said you guys were awesome to get help from.

Hi Tybugs1,

I think you probably need to decide what your budget is, for a camera body, as well as lenses. Are you looking at spending hundreds or thousands? And also decide what you'll typically be shooting. Wildlife and sports need faster cameras and lenses, while general scenery, fly-tying, macro and fishing shots really don't need fast equipment for good results. But faster cameras and lenses allow for blasting off a dozen shots, and one of them will look better than the others, especially with fish and wildlife.

I think a couple of good less expensive cameras are the Canon Rebel and Nikon D40, which also come in kits, with lenses. My dream camera is a Nikon D3, but I won't be spending $5k for a camera anytime soon.

Graham

guiding?

I thought I needed a better camera also.

When I guide...

My photos need to be quick so I can help release trout.

The idea od falling in while netting a trout with an expensive camera...

Caused me to decided which one is my priority.

The fish or the camera.

Fish won.

Len, I use a Nikon D200, and bring at least two different lenses on stream with me. The Simms large camera belt with the roll-down-top, is water proof and hold my camera with any of my lenses attached, including either a 300mm f/4 or 70-200 f/2.8. I bought two of the seperate Simms camera bags, that slide onto the main belt-bag, and they easily hold other lenses, flash, filters, etc. I keep everything sealed up until it's time to take a photo, then I take out the camera, put the strap around my neck, shoot, and put it back in the bag, roll the top down and snap both fasteners tight. I've used roll-top tyes of bags for years with my old Sony to keep it dry, even waded with it fully submerged for hours, and it never got wet. I keep desicant bags and blocks in my on-stream bags, but I'll try to never let my new belt setup get submerged. I am confident the roll top style will stay dry inside, even if I fall into the water. I use this system as my wading belt, and keep the main bag in the rear, like a fanny-bag, and it easily spins to the front when I want to grab the camera. That said, it is much lighter to leave the camera on shore instead of wearing it all day, and Eagle Creek makes a security device that has a retractable steel cord and built-in alarm, which can be set for motion, allowing for securing the bag to a tree, if necessary, and makes a loud noise if the bag is moved. This security device has a combination lock.

Hi Tybugs1,

I think you probably need to decide what your budget is, for a camera body, as well as lenses. Are you looking at spending hundreds or thousands? And also decide what you'll typically be shooting. Wildlife and sports need faster cameras and lenses, while general scenery, fly-tying, macro and fishing shots really don't need fast equipment for good results. But faster cameras and lenses allow for blasting off a dozen shots, and one of them will look better than the others, especially with fish and wildlife.

I think a couple of good less expensive cameras are the Canon Rebel and Nikon D40, which also come in kits, with lenses. My dream camera is a Nikon D3, but I won't be spending $5k for a camera anytime soon.

Graham

I'm looking at about $2,500 for the camera and a couple of lenses to start with for now. I would be shooting wildlife, scenery, fly tying, macro and fishing shots. I do 95% of my fly fish guiding from a boat and can protect my camera for the most part :) 95% stillwater and 5% creek fishing.

Some of the wildlife shots would be Osprey, Eagles, Swans, Ducks, Elk, Deer etc.

I'm looking at about $2,500 for the camera and a couple of lenses to start with for now. I would be shooting wildlife, scenery, fly tying, macro and fishing shots. I do 95% of my fly fish guiding from a boat and can protect my camera for the most part :) 95% stillwater and 5% creek fishing.

Some of the wildlife shots would be Osprey, Eagles, Swans, Ducks, Elk, Deer etc.

For $2,500 you can get a very nice DSLR and some nice glass. If you get a Canon, you have quite a choice.

Rebel XTI body -- ~ $600.00

Canon 30D body -- ~ $900.00 (maybe a bit less)

Canon 40D body -- ~ $1200.00

Canon EF-S 17-85 IS -- ~ $500.00

Canon EF 70-300 IS -- ~ $650.00

Canon EF 100 Macro -- ~ $600.00

Canon EF 50 1.8 (the nifty fifty) -- ~ $75.00

A 40D w/ EF-S 17-85 IS, and a EF 70-300 IS would be a great setup. If you get the previous xxD model, the 30D, it gives you a little more room for nice glass.

Then you will want to eventually get some really nice glass, "L" series lenses, and then maybe a full frame 5D or 1D series... This can get more expensive than fly fishing :/

Great Nikons out there too, but I'm too invested in Canon glass to even consider them. All I know about Nikon is to be aware that the D40 does not use older lenses. I know nothing about Nikon/Nikkor lenses.

Hi Guys

Been doing some searching and looking. I'm really thinking I like the Nikon200 like what Graham has been shooting with. I have a friend who has a Canon EOS 40d. Not sure I know enough to compare so I need some more help, hints and ideas.

Wildlife, action shots, fishing shots, birds, bugs would be the most pictures taken along with family, kid, kid sports photo's.

Any insight is appreciated

thanks

Lynn

Tybugs1,

Have you looked at the Sigma SD14?

Here's a couple of pictures I got with the first model on the shelves in Canada.

IPB Image

IPB Image

shot in automatic, JPG and un-edited in any way with the exception of re-sized.

It's looking like I'll own one next week, and with a little luck be able to post some better pictures right away.

If your living in Canada I can get you a very nice price on one

(Don't worry Jim, I'm not selling my Pentax gear, the price is just too good on the Sigma ;) )

Good thing you said that Stu. I thought I was going to have to come up there and see you. :hyst: I would hate to see all that equipement go to waste. :lol:

Jim

Lynn, the main advantage to Nikon or Canon is the wide range of lenses and other equipment that are compatible with their cameras. Both companies make great cameras, as do a lot of other outfits. But considering the state of flux that the industry is in, it's a good idea to consider whether or not a line of photo equipment is still going to be around in a few years before you make a serious investment in lenses, etc. The rate that companies are getting in and out of the photography equipment field is something I've never seen before. It's just my opinion, but I'd stick to Canon or Nikon right now - you couldn't go wrong with either one, and they're not going to be quitting the field any time soon.

Hey Lynn,

Solid advice from everyone! Nice pics btw Laker! As mentioned Canon and Nikkon both solid. The Rebel XTi continues to impress me. if you would like a really great article comparing it to the 30d here you go:

Scroll all the way to the bottom:

http://www.abetterbouncecard.com/

There is some really good insight on the XTi. You could also get some really nice Canon "L" glass within your budget!

Let us know what you end up doing. I plan on being up at IF Tying Expo this year to tie. I hope to see you there!

JayMorr

What you really need to do is pick a lens series that you like. The comparison between the Canon 30/40D and the Nikon D200/300 are not at the same price points. The D200/300 is between the Canon 30/40D and 5D. If you are comparing the 40D to the D200, the 40D is brand new. The D200 is a couple years old. Where do you jump in? Pick the lenses that you want and go from there.

As for the Canon XTI -- it's a great little camera. Some people do find it too small for their hands. It has a plastic body, and I'm not sure what the shutter longevity is. The 30D is 100,000 exposures. The 30D can also take up to 5 exposures per second. We can argue and compare camera bodies for ages, but bodies change every year. Good Lenses should outlive many camera body generations.

When I switched from film to digital I like a lot came down to do I want Canon or Nikon. My film equipment is all Pentax so either way I was looking at all new lenses.

For me the decision finally came down to the fact that most my friends all have Nikon equipment. I know if there is something I need and don't have I can borrow from them. If any of my equipment breaks down I can call one of them up in an emegency and borrow their gear. Likewise they sometimes borrow from me. If you have friends with Canon equipment and are comfortable with sharing equipment from time to time that is something to consider.

Somebody else already mentioned it, but I'll say it again as it is what I tell anybody that asks me about cameras.

get one that is comfortable for you to use. Something that is comfortable in your hands and where the controls are all easily available. My first camera I had some controls that were hard to get to when the camera was up to my eye. I like being able to make changes with my eye to the viewfinder so that camera didn't last long.

Ease of use and comfort will eventually be an issue. If the camera is a pain in the butt to operate you will be less likely to pull it out and shoot.