Fly Tying
Tybugs1

Camera's

Yeah Peter about that much. Probably a bit more seeing as how were in Canada. While the MKIII has come down since summer at that time is selling for about $5,500 + tax and the 500 f4 cost about $7,000.

Scary when you tihnk about it.

Graham considering that everyon here shares a love for the outdoors and in particular around water you really should, bad things have a way of happening. Ive only tipped a canoe once in my life and Ive only taken 1 full header into a river while wading but when you consider that all it would take is a splash to deep six our gear, sleeping better at night is worth the extra cost. I think I would cry if I deep sixed my gear w/o insurance.

Call your broker or homeowners carrier and ask about what known as "Riders" or "Schedules". They are bascially additions to your homeowners policy per item and are basically no questions, no deductible, no fuss stand alone replacement policies.

Wih my carrier they would "likely"replace my gear under my general homeowner policy in the event of an accidental swim but there would be alot of questions (including proving I owned said item), alot of hassle and it could take alot of time and at the end of the day its a "likely" will honour but not "certainly", plus there would be the deductable.

Under the Rider is basically pick up the phone, tell em what happened and Im covered. As they already have receipts on file and stuff its really just a matter of rubber stampinghe replacement, regardless of how badly I brain cramp. The cost for all my essential gear is about $110.00/year

With regards to the D300 a few guys up here have it now and they are producing some stellar shots. The D3 looks to be just that much better but its also more than double the price. So far from every image Ive seen the 300 is a winner. Couple guys have noted the noise control isnt quite what they hoped for but still much better tan their predessors. They are very happy.

You're probably covered under your homeowner's policy, though you may have to list your gear separately like you would any big-ticket items. If your auto policy covers theft, you may be covered there too, but it would pay to check on both with your agent. There's also insurance available strictly for photo gear that isn't too expensive as I recall - something like 5% of the total value per year. Not a bad deal considering the risks we all take shooting outdoors and the money most of us have invested. I think I'm covered for everything except being robbed by a left-handed Madagascan dwarf during the Feast of St. Swithin. (which is why I rarely venture out while the feast is in progress)

Thanks Wulff. For Christmas my wife bought me a Lowpro DryZone200 gray/black water proof camera backpack, which is completely waterproof even when submerged, and will float with 80 pounds of gear inside. I guess I had thought of this as my insurance, and life preserver...lol... I'll contact my insurer tomorrow to inquire about real insurance.

From what I've been reading the D300 only has about one stop improvement with respect to ISO noise, but every little bit helps. I really am quite happy with my D200 but I plan on taking a number of trips this year and having a second camera for backup seems wise. I wish the D200 and D300 used the same batteries.

"Hey Peter, I also stay indoors during the Feast of St. Swithin, with windows closed and drapes drawn tight. "

lol :)

Im saving my pennis right now for a couple of big ticket lenses, namely the 24-70 f2.8 L and hopefully a little further down the road a used 500 f4 L. After that depending on camera advances I may save for a 1D as upgrade to my IIN or a 5D/40D as back-up alternative.

Im surprised the 300 is using different batteries than the 200, didnt know that...bummer..Either way it would be one nice pick up for you.

Saint Swithin's day if thou dost rain, for forty days it will remain; Saint Swithin's day if thou be fair, For forty days 'twill rain na mair.

Wulff, you are right about the 40D and the 1D. After reading your post, I went back and did some research and was thinking you were out of your mind lol. I was the one that posted the wrong comparison. I went back to review my post to find that I had in fact compared it to the 1D, the comparison was meant to be to the 5D which is one step up from the 40D and quite a few down from the 1D. My apologies for posting the wrong info, man...there are just way too many numbers on these cameras lol. As for the insurance, I'm going to check with USAA tomorrow and see what they can give me for the equipment. Though the 40D may not cost as much as some of the pro cams, I still don't want to lose it after I get it. Thanks for that info.

Ashby

Im saving my pennis right now for a couple of big ticket lenses

:hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

John, apparently you're a man who will give up absolutely anything to get his hands on the gear he covets. I've seen dedication before, but nothing tops this - I tip my hat to a true professional. Funny, but I thought there was only one "n".........must be another one of those Canadianisms. I'll have to ask Ernie about that.

Hey Peterjay, I noticed that as well. I was quickly skimming over messages and noticed" (god help me and thank you for my understanding wife) " and then the saving the pennis.... Really got me scratching my head...

Wulff, you are right about the 40D and the 1D. After reading your post, I went back and did some research and was thinking you were out of your mind lol. I was the one that posted the wrong comparison. I went back to review my post to find that I had in fact compared it to the 1D, the comparison was meant to be to the 5D which is one step up from the 40D and quite a few down from the 1D. My apologies for posting the wrong info, man...there are just way too many numbers on these cameras lol. As for the insurance, I'm going to check with USAA tomorrow and see what they can give me for the equipment. Though the 40D may not cost as much as some of the pro cams, I still don't want to lose it after I get it. Thanks for that info.

Ashby

Ashby are you getting the 40 D then? I'm confused. You guys are making my grey hair more gray and my gray matter hurt ;)

Actually it's all good and has created alot of searching. I do like the idea of a lesser body as it were and getting good lenses.

What if I did the Cannon 40D or the Nikon D80 with one really good lense? I know Graham mentioned the the Nikon 18/200 for the Nikon.

What would be top of the line, middle of the road and what would be okay for both Cameras?

Keep in mind that I'm a fly fishing guide and sometimes moisture is a factor with rain and snow. I only have about 2000.00 to spend or less. Depends on if my wife knows :unsure:

You guys have really helped and I appreciate it

Im saving my pennis right now for a couple of big ticket lenses

:hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

John, apparently you're a man who will give up absolutely anything to get his hands on the gear he covets. I've seen dedication before, but nothing tops this - I tip my hat to a true professional. Funny, but I thought there was only one "n".........must be another one of those Canadianisms. I'll have to ask Ernie about that.

Rotflmao, lol too funny Peter :)

Ashby

No sweat Ashby, it wasnt a big deal. I ould have clarified it better myself as on the whole I completely greed with you except for that wee bit.

Ive insured every body Ive owned starting with the XT, and including the 40D. I havent insured all my lenses, just the 2 most expensive ( 400mm and 180mm macro). The amount of time we spend in the outdoors in my opinion makes insuring our stuff neccessary. All it would take is an ill timed splash, a slip or even an unexpected rain.

Here is my question. Out of the following Nikon Camera's, lense packages and prices. Which would you choose knowing what I need the camera for, wildlife, birds, fish, action, landscape and knowing I better stay under 2000.00. Second question for you Canon folks which Canon and lenses would be comparable and stay comparable price wise?

Here is the list:

Nikon D80 10.2 Megapixel SLR Digital Camera body Nikon 24-85mm f/2.8-4.0 IF D Autofocus Lens

Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Auto Focus Lens

Nikon D80 10.2 Megapixel SLR Digital Camera body Nikon Zoom 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX VR Autofocus Lens

Nikon D80 10.2 Megapixel SLR Digital Camera body Nikon 35-70mm f/2.8 D Lens Autofocus Lens

Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 ED D Autofocus Lens

Nikon D200, 10.2 Megapixel, Digital SLR Camera Body w/ 1 Year USA Warranty

Nikon Zoom 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX VR Autofocus Lens

Nikon D200, 10.2 Megapixel, Digital SLR Camera Body w/ 1 Year USA Warranty

Nikon 35-70mm f/2.8 D Lens Autofocus Lens Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 ED D Autofocus Lens

New Nikon D300 12.3-megapixel Digital SLR Body Nikon Zoom 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX VR Autofocus

Thanks Wulff.

Tybugs, I'm one of the Canon guys. I gave my reasons for the 40D, the body size is another thing that is keeping me on that one. Also if you take in the fact that it shoots at a rate of 6.5 frames per second, man that is moving. When I went to the store and test shot these cameras, I hit that high speed shoot and it was all over. My wife said she saw my eyes glass over and a grin come over my face like I had just.......well anyway lmao. One lens I would get with the 40D is 17-85mm. Reason being, it's equivalent to 27-136mm. The photo guy told me, he didn't understand how they did this, but they did. This lens has a wide angle on it that is awesome. That will be one that I get with mine. I will also get the 70-300 with it. Both will be the USM and IS packages.

Wulff, I checked with USAA (my insurance Co) they gave me a quote of $2.00 a month for a policy on my Canon and two lenses. She said as long as what ever you do is not on purpose just to break the body and lens, it will be covered no questions asked. That is awesome, she said even if I fall in the river with it, it's covered. I was pretty excited when I heard that. I thought it was going to be a pretty penny. Thanks for the idea, now I will not worry too much about it when I'm out in the elements.

Ashby

Hey Tybugs1, I would be very wary of the D300 deal with the 18-200 for 1,699. Very, very wary.

I cant think of a single lens that would satisfy your list of things to shoot, while performing each task effectively. The best camera on your list which can easily perform these tasks is the D300, especially the auto focus for action and birds.

I would consider buying the D300 and a 50mm 1:8 for just under $2k, and practice using this lens to learn the camera system, while saving for future glass purchases.