Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Seadog

The Hardest Part of Fly Tying

O.K., For two years now I have been tying. I feel that I have mastered the basic skills. Well, at least in my mind. However, the biggest problem I have is getting the proper proportions. A classic example of this is getting the right size hackle to match the hook size. I know the more experience I get, the better I will become. But, I thought maybe some of the advance tyers might have an easier or a quicker solution. Any thoughts?

Seadog

There is no easy or quick here. You just need to tye enough flies to know what size hackle you need. To begin with you can either use a hackle gauge OR just measure the barbs against the hook gap (I usually want the barbs to extend 1.5 times the gap. But there are flies that want a barb length shorter or longer.) Now comes the part where experience does help. The above measure is useful and accurate only if the hook shank is nearly naked over the region the hackle is wrapped. Most of the time when I have a problem with hackle length it is because I am wrapping the hackle over a built-up thorax area. So, if I know this is going to be the case (say I am tying a Wulff dry fly...) I will use "undersized" hackle. (A size or so smaller using the gauge, or less than 1.5 hook gaps by eye.)

My advice: Always tye up at least 6 of each fly (all the same size.) Tye up all the bodies first, trying to make them as identical as you can. (This is also a good way to hone your skills at getting the right proportions!) Then tye in a well-measured hackle on the first fly and finish it off. Really look at it. From all angles. If necessary, adjust the hackle size up or down on the next fly. You will rarely have to readjust the hackle size for the rest of the flies.

I also find it helpful to keep notes about each pattern I tye: What materials I used. The lengths/widths of tail, body, wing, etc. Whether I wrapped an underbody. Problems in tying. Observations about the results. Ideas about improvements or ways to solve my problems. These notes help me focus on the whole fly AND are very useful when next I tye that pattern.

Sorry about being so long-winded.

There is no substitute for experience but there is something you can do in the meantime that will help you in the learning process. When you tie a new pattern find as many pictures of it that you can find in books and on the internet. Look closely at every aspect of the fly from head to tail. Notice how each tyer is different and how they are alike. Pay close attention to how the proportions of tail, wing and hackle are used to balance the overall appearance of the fly. This was something I didn't learn until I began tying salmon and classic wet flies and streamers.

I think the immediate goal of most new tyers is production (tying flies for the flybox) but what you have to learn is to slow down and really learn the fundamentals.

I suggest that you study the critter you are trying to reproduce. The more bugs you look at the easier the correct porportions will be.

Seadog, I think I understand your question so I'd like to take a shot at an answer. When I started tying I found a book that gave the proportions of all the different types of flys. I would also go to the flyshop and buy a fly that looked very proportionate. Measure it very closely with a ruler, keeping in mind that 1/64th of an inch is a lot in a 3/8th inch nymph and try to duplicate it. That's what I did hope it help you.

I agree with all of the answers. Its important that the hackle not exceed wing length :huh: I purchased a 6 inch stainless ruler and it will mearure down to 1 mm. Its nice to study well tied flies with it,and you can actually hold it to the screen or photo to mimic proportions. Hackle gauges are very helpful when tying on a" standard ".dry fly hook

I agree with everything so far. One of my standard tying tools is a 6" plastic ruler. One trick you can use if you want to tie a bunch of flies of the same pattern and size is to tie one that satisfies you, then take a piece of white card stock (index card) and mark the length of the tail, wings, hackle, whatever. use this homemade ruler as a guide to tie the rest. You'll end up with a very consistant batch of flies. I know of at least one tier who marks these measurements on his index finger with a marker so he all he has to do is hold his finger up to the hook.

Most proportions on a fly are done in divisions of shank length. Depending on the specific measurement it could be made in units of eye diameter, divisions of the shank itself or by linear comparatives of the tying materials to the hook.

IPB Image

An example of eye measurement would be tying the head of a fly. Most recipes call for a fly head to be the size of one eye length from the eye itself going towards the bend.

An example of shank divisions would be mounting wings. A recipe may call for the wings to be mounted one quarter of the shank from the eye.

An example of linear comparatives would be sizing a wing. The recipe may state that a wing should be the same as the total length which is distance from the eye to bend.

As for sizing hackles, I find that a nice hackle gauge is money well spent.

The little plastic one by Griffin will get the job done and will set you back about $5 or $6.

IPB Image

I recommend the Whiting Hackle Gauge which will run about $17 to $22. A couple of reasons I feel the price is justified is durability and ease of use. Durable because they are made from anodized aluminum. Easy to use because they are printed so that you always have a contrast line whether the hackle is dark, light or in between. When your 40, those fine hackle barbs get a little harder to see.

IPB Image

Can I answer your question with a question?

Are the flies you tie catching fish?

If they are, to hell with proportions and whether they look good to other fishermen - they look good to fish, and I'll take that over anything else.

Real mayflies don't follow traditional fly tying proportions, longer tails and hackle that's "too big" may result in a fly that floats better. Remember, you're tying flies to fool fish, not fishermen.

The Good News: all of us struggled through the proportion issue, and the remedy is to keep tying. The more flies you tie the better you'll be at gauging proportions, it's that simple. As long as your flies catch fish you have no issue.

A well tied fly, adhering to all proportions is a thing of beauty. It's a testament to your skill and construction techniques, but if nothing eats it, it was all for naught.

DancesWithHeadCement, Excellent Point!! :D

It sounds like you took a page out of the book of my 85 yoa mentor/fishing partner. He makes the same point. He is very proficient at tying and most importantly an excellent fisherman.

That being said, yes, the flies I have been tying for the past couple of years have been catching numerous fish (bluegill and bass), and I know that is what matters the most too me.

Since joing the forum several weeks ago, I am truly amazed at the quality of work some of the members of FTF produce. Maybe I am a little overly ambitious; however, I would also like to be able to produce flies that are on a similar scale. Oh, and still catch tons of fish!