Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Best fishing memories

Whats your best fishing trip you have been on?

Mine would have to be the first time i went fly fishing with my father in grayling on the au sable. My dad passed away in 96' and i will have that first trip we took etched in my memory for the rest of my life.

A close 2nd would be the trip myself,smalliehunter,BDH,force feeder,J.Johnson and his crew took to erie PA back in on new years day it was a great trip with some good comradarie that i will always think back on with good thoughts!

Whats yours?

SD

Four years ago I went to Ascension Bay with three friends. The first day on the water I caught a 20 lb Permit and many Bonefish, which set the tone for a very memorable week. The trip cost a small fortune, but worth every penny.

This post bring back so many found memories and so many to choose from.

But the day that sticks out most is the time me and bud fished Spring Creek in central Pa two years ago.

This creek is known for it large native Brown trout, and its tough fishing.

We fished the sulphur hatch up the creek for two solid days. We had a blast ! Fish were rising and were willing to take a well drifted fly.

We got them on duns, comparduns, emergers and later in the evening with a spinner.

A very close second would have to be the Erie trip in January with SmallieHunter, Big Daddy, Steeldrifter and SmallieKiller.

It was a perfect weekend (except for the hangover) This was the first time I ever had an internet fishing date. Great group of guys, with a better time in the creeks.

Looking forward to it again this fall guys !

Wow, it's hard to nail it down to just one trip - so I won't tongue.gif

However the two that carry the fondest memories are last year's Oak Orchard trip with good friend Graham Owen and this April's Erie PA trip with J.Johnson, SmallieHunter, BDH, PauleyDog, Brianfly15 and Keith.

I've been on many other very enjoyable trips, with a lot of great people, but the above had the best mixture of fishing and fun!

Fishing with my dad. We were at moraine fishing for crappie and I got a snag. Least I thought it was a snag. I reeled and reeled but the line wouldn't budge. The huge musky that had it was about 4' out in shallow water and wasn't budging. My dad steped over to give me a hand and the fish must of seen him. It snapped the line made a small splash and off it went. Zebco needs to make a kid sized musky rod!

Another would be my Erie trip in highschool. Didn't catch a single fish but I saw tons of steelhead and salmon. Every time I think of Erie I see the same images and want to go back.

I've had many myself and it's hard to narrow it down to 1, so I'm not even going to try.

First off, there was the trip early January with J.Johnson, SmallieHunter, Steeldritfer, BDH, and whoever else was there! That was my first true "fly fishing" trip and it was worth it! I had putzed around local creeks and picked up stockies on sucker spawn, but nothing with the fly rod compares to that weekend, big steelies and lots of 'em.

Secondly, there was the trip to Olcott when I was around 12. I caught my first 30+ lb King that weekend and I'll never forget that, awesome fish! I did however spend a lot of time swimming that weekend, the combination of the current, my lack of wieght (which I've more than made up for) and salmon plowing into my boots was an ugly combo.

and lastly, just learning that there are Steelhead in Erie, contrary to what I thought before, after not talking to my dad for about 6 years, we got together and went up to Erie, he showed me some spots and the rest was history!

SK

Ahh the April trip how could I have forgotten about that one ! wallbash.gif

I found my long lost twin brother that trip, eh PaulyDog ! That one is in my Journal with a 5 star rating !

Its funny, I cant seem to remember what day is trash day.

But I could tell you were I have fished and what I caught... dunno.gif

This is a hard question to answer since I have taken so many trips, exspecially within the last four years....

I would have to say any one of the M-S outings in Ludington, St Joe, or Newago....next would be my trip to Aruba, catching several fish and a 25# spiney lobster, a 4' morey eel and several wahoe......

Marc

Mine would have to be, the first summer my two sons and I went fishing and camping for a whole week together. My mom and dad showed up about 1/2 way through the week so we got to spend time together which was nice cause my mom passed away the following year. That was the first time the kids and I went fishing and my youngest son. Maybe 4 at the time was sitting on a rock splashing his feet in the lake and he hollers to me "DAD WHY AREN'T THE FISHING BITING". I thought I was going to fall over laughing. My mom just about fell off the picnic table laughing at him too. That was a neat trip. Every summer the kids and I go fishing and camping for a week and we have a great time. But none will ever measur up to that week.

Thanks for asking and bringing back the memories. Puts a tear in my eye and a smile on my face.

Jim