Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
snboggs

Smallmouth Patterns

Hey guys,

I live in GA but also do a bit of fishing in NC when I'm visiting my father. I was wondering what some of your favorite river smallie patterns are. Also, if you can include pictures or step by step tying instructions that would be great! Thanks guys!

well,when i was fishing out in Nova Scotia on the Shudenacadie canal,i caught all of my fish on nightcrawlers drifted weightlessly,so im guessing a larger san juan worm would work great.I did have one or two strike at a hopper as well,so hoppers wouldnt help

70% of the diet of large smallies is crawfish. I fish craw patterns most of the time. Drag and hop them on the bottom. If they are on the beds Ill fish more bait fish patterns. The pan fish like to try to steel their eggs. So they tend to hit small pan fish/bait fish patterns hard while on the beds. Up here perch are the biggest egg predator.

black wooly buggers are great :D the ones i use have a black tail, copper body, black hackle, and a bead head, i personally use size ten hooks so if 'gills attack it before a bass i can catch them :D i seriously like size ten's you can't go wrong with 'gills. in fact i just caught a 'gill on one today :yahoo: (the temp went up to 46 and there is no ice covering the creeks)

Guest rich mc

my friend craig has developed a fly called the hairy fodder its on the georgia river flyfishing site.it works very well for all bass. i also use a worm pattern that is similar to jack gartsides wiggle worm, his instructions are on www.jackgartside.com rich m ISA

My most productive fly for smallmouth is, without doubt, the Foxee Red Clouser. From May until October I'll say its the only fly you really need. So there....

Joe C.