Fly Tying

I just bought some biots for the first time. How do you prep them to tie them on the hook. My attempts so far look terriable. THanks.

Guest Big E

What kind of biot and what size of hook? You'll want to match them up depending on the size...ie goose biots for 16 and smaller and turkey for 16 and lower.

Before you begin to tie, moisten the biots. This will make them easier to work with.

When tying them in, look for the notch. Depending on how you tie in and the position of the notch, you will have different bodies. Up notch (convex side facing you) will give you a ribbed body and down notch (convex side away) will give you a smooth body with better color.

I usually make a small bump of dubbing to splay them out then hold it tight with my left hand wrap with my right and while i'm first wrapping keep it held with my left until its bound down

Guest Big E

I usually make a small bump of dubbing to splay them out then hold it tight with my left hand wrap with my right and while i'm first wrapping keep it held with my left until its bound down

I guess I forgot to ask if you had problems tying them in for tails/wings or in making them into bodies. I just took it for granted that you were having problems tying them into bodies.

I'm assuming you are using these for biot bodies and not tails etc.

I take a moist paper towel and lay the biots down and fold the towel in half to moisten them for a while before tying them in.

I am trying to tie them in on the body of the universal nymph pattern that I found on this site a couple of weeks ago. They are goose biots on a size 14. I tried cutting them off of the quill but that didn't work so I tried putting them on with the quill attached but they still don't look very good.

I am trying to tie them in on the body of the universal nymph pattern that I found on this site a couple of weeks ago. They are goose biots on a size 14. I tried cutting them off of the quill but that didn't work so I tried putting them on with the quill attached but they still don't look very good.

Goose biots are a little small for size 14 hooks. Turkey biots will be much easier to use. (or bustard biots)

You will be removing them from the quill. I just rip them off.

Thanks for the help. Those links cleared a lot up for me. I didn't think of useing turkey. I have about 6 whole turkey wings I have been saveing for fletching my home made arrows as I am also into primitive archery.