Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Wulff

Easter Weekend...White Tails and Winter Steel

In any form of Outdoor photography the hour after sunrise and the hour preceeding dusk are referred to as the Golden Hour....For good reason. Often the light creates a strong colour cast and if you pay attention to the Kelvin value of your White Balance you'll note how high it is.

The last few weeks I've been stalking White Tails at first light. Literally arriving just as the sun get above the horizon, around 7:30am and have been back in the car between 8:30 and 9:00am. Light (imo) is everything.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Then it was off to some local tribs to get some practise in on an unfamiliar subject matter

People :)

Made even tougher as I'm avoiding taking Lift and Grins, aka "Hero shots" aka "fish out of water shots".

Bascially trying to record events and incorprate a sense of "being there" versus the cliche "look at this fish" shot.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Hope you enjoyed the mini series.

Nice shots John - that last deer looks like it's pointing a pheasant. You're right - It's impossible to overemphasize the importance of good light.

Great shots as always John. Early morning photos are my favorite when it comes to whitetails. Just love seeing them in that light and its my favorite time to hunt them. I love being out there when the woods are waking up. Looks like pinning is quite popular in your area. Its growing in both popularity and annoyance here in Michigan.

Thanks Guys.

Pinning is extremely popular. For every fly reel theres 100 to 200+ pins. The rivers arent even busy right now. In a couple weeks it will be combat fishing. Nothing like 8 or so tribs within 30 minutes driving of one of NAs largest Megaloposis.

I haven't done any steelheading since we lived in Idaho 16 or 17 years ago, so I guess it's OK if I ask a dumb question: what the heck is pinning? I actually went back and looked to see if the guys were wearing pins on their jackets and they weren't so I guess it has something to do with the rigs they're using. Or maybe I just need to get out more.

15 yrs or so ago was right about the time "Pinning" started to become popular in Central NA (Great Lakes regions). I know I bought my first ( a Pacific Steelheader which is now a collectors item) the year I got married which was 1991.

"Pinning" is short for "Center Pin". I don't recall the specifics but its a reel and method popular in Europe and/or its a spin off from "mooching" reels popular on the west coast. Either way its lethal on Trout in Rivers.

Similiar to Fly Reels (line holder) except theres no drag and are free spooling hence the term center pin. Nothing quite like a 20+pd King literally peeling the line of them. Good idea to wear gloves or a bandaid on your right fingers...

Anways because they are free spooling and the ball bearings are good and because the typical rod length is 13 to 15 feet you get.

Easy drag free drifts. The current pulls your line/float and the line spools off the reel. See Pic # 2 or 3.

Because theres no drag and your using 13+ foot rods you can get away with 4pd test mono for Kings and 2pd for Steel in gin clear water. I typically used 4pd test leads. Also because the rods are so long theres no need to mend providing your drifting not much more than 20 feet from 10 oclock to 2 oclock, with no need to worry about current between you and the drift. The length of the rod keeps the line free of the water.

So easy made no brainer dead drifts and light leads= lots of hookups.

John - Your photography is always very inspiring. Every time I look at your photos I am impressed by how beautifully the shots are composed and how well you make use of the "artistic" settings of the cameras (DOF, aperture settings, shutter speed, etc.) to capture the moment. I've got a LOT to learn, but your photos (and the works of everyone else on this forum) provides a lot of inspiration. Thanks for taking us along.

Hi Wulff

Love the deer shots. Im jealous :) All I have is grey skies, snow and ice. I like the one laying down staring at you.

Very nice pictures John. I love the one with the reel spining out. That guy must have had a nice one on there. I should do that next year, while resting, just take out the camera and do some shooting. Nice shots, all.

Ashby

Nice pics John! When are you going to get out fishing? lol

Matt is right, pinning is getting ever more popular here in MI. But it's a huge annoyance. People have these mile longs drifts, and don't even consider other people. There's a local river here where this goes on a lot.