Fly Tying
monty3777

Anvil Rotary vise

In my search for a rotary vise I have recently come acros a local fly guy who sells Anvil rotary vises. I plan to try one at next month's meeting (he leads our class on tying). Until that time comes, do any of you have an Anvil rotary? This one is $140. Thoughts?

Monty

We really need to know what model Anvil. If it is an Apex

that is really not a good deal. The Anvil Apex is a very good

rotary vise for the money. (though not a true rotary)

It is available from Bass Pro for $99.99 or from Hook & Hackle

for $79 after receiving the on line discount. Make sure Hook & Hackle

can commit to a delivery date. Their prices are good but they don't

always have the advertised item in stock.

I would find out what model it is and do a little searching to compare prices.

Tight lines and heavy creels

-Tom

Monty,

I assume that you are looking at the new Anvil true rotary. I have read great things about this vise. Great for the money.

I have the Anvil Apex Vise which I love. Great holding power on the jaws and very easy to use. Not a true rotary. I got it from Bass Pro for $99.99.

I just upgraded to a true rotary, I wanted to get the new Anvil vise but none of my local shops sell it. I went with the Peak Vise at the same $140 price range. I love it. If you are looking to stay in the under $150 range, look at both of these options.

Nate

i havent come across a anvil vise.none of my local shops carry it.for mail order supplies i use stockard or feather-craft,nothing there.where do you find them?

The Anvil Rotary vise uses essentially the same jaws as the Apex. I have one on my bench, a pretty good buy for the money. Only real negative thing I can say is the riser is pretty short to use on the C-clamp (for my taste anyway) it is perfect for the Pedestal though.

i havent come across a anvil vise.none of my local shops carry it.for mail order supplies i use stockard or feather-craft,nothing there.where do you find them?

The guy who teaches the classes at my local flyfishing club sells them. I always prefer to support small local folks so I am willing to forgo my deep desire to own a Renzetti if this vise is good enough. :D

Hi Monty

I just bought one this month - First i had it home for test a couple of weeks and it works fine. I have not tried all types of hooks yet but those I has used so far was sitting solid in the jaws.

The only thing you has to do is giv it a litle oil on the moveable parts before you starts to use it.

So far I am happy with mine. :D

Regards Ostfyn

I've had mine for over 6 months now,have tied down to sz.32 with no problems, at the beginning it is a little stiff but it works in well and now is very smooth.

Bill

Guest Big E

IMO vices are a very personal choice. What may seem good to you may not seem good to another. The best advice is to try out as many vices as you can within your pricepoint and then make your decision.

With that said, my choice within that price range would be a Renzetti Traveller but thats just me.

Here's a link to an article that has reviews of several vices and was one of the first things I consulted when I purchased my vice.

Hi guys, new to the forum but Ive had a little experience with these. Personally I'd tie on my Traveller rather than the Apex. The Atlas is nicer, and smoother and good value. But I have that Renzetti bias

The one issue I had with these was a customer who wore the jaws out in about a year. He tied a lot obviously. But Anvil replaced the jaws inside a week and it was a simple replacement.

So you save alittle with the softer jaws up front, but their backup is impeccable. Very easy to deal with too.

Hope this helps a little

Steve