Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Skip48

A few foam flies

I am sure the fish here will love them. What do you think?

Skip

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

And last but not least my little green beatle...

IPB Image

Nice foam flies, I just started tying with foam myself. In my area if there are rubber legs on the fly, the bluegills and bass will kille them.

The fish will definately love them! I love foam. It is cheap and there is so much you can do with it. You can even do this with it..........

IPB Image

Good ties! the green is my favorite one

Thanks guys!

I like the foam, but I also like that Krystal Flash chenille like under the beatle body.

Skip

Okay, here's a suggestion or three. Get a small hole punch (Fiskars at Hobby Lobby $3.99) and punch out dots from 2mm self-stick sheet foam. When you have finished one of your beetles, put a few dots on the back in a contrasting color. This does two things: (1) it makes the fly easier to see, and (2) it adds flotation on the top of the fly. Since there are 350,000 varieties of beetles in the world, you can hardly go wrong on a color combination.

Next, try using hackle on the shaft of the hook instead of chenille.

Lastly, add legs by tying them onto the shaft, then palmer the hackle, then bring the foam over to make the wing/shell. The foam will force the legs to angle downward. If you don't want this, tie them in at the tie down crease of the sheet foam near the hook eye AFTER you have tied down the foam. These legs will stand out to either side.