Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
maddog48

Papa heard the magic words ..

Monday afternoon my son and his family came and spent the holiday afternoon with me. We decided to do a little trout fishing. I am blessed to have 3 grand-children and had taken the oldest trout fishing before. We used spinning gear .. but we had to start somewhere. My 5 year old grandson caught the only fish of the day and it also happened to be the first rainbow he's caught. All of a sudden he was the expert and was giving all kinds of advice and had everyone rolling. After getting done with supper at Pizza Hut they came by my house for awhile. "His" bedroom just happens to be the room where I store all the rods, waders and assorted goodies. He opened the door and turned and looked at me with eyes the size of softballs and asked what of everything stored in there was his. I told him eventually he and his brother and sister would be using everything. Now .. the neat part. He saw my Trekker set up and asked what that was. When I explained to him it's how I make my flies for fishing, I had to show him. Next .. the words I've been waiting to hear .. can you teach me Papa? :yahoo: It's going to be fun and I can't wait. :kicking: :clapping: I have a King-Fisher, Voyager 2 and a kit vise all set and ready to go.

Mike

Aww... Good for you (and for him). My grandfather didn't fly fish, but I have fond memories of fishing with him. I'm sure your grandson will remember those times for the rest of his life.

My grandfather didn't fly fish. In fact I think he rarely fished except when my brother and I went, but among my strongest and most fond memories are of hanging with him are digging worms and using his hopper catchers. (poles with window screens)

Cherish that investment in your grand children's fond memories. They certainly will.

Awesome Mike. The time you spend tying with your grandson will be the finest investment you will ever make. You will both learn a lot, he about tying flies and you about the wonder of a young child.