Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
smallieFanatic

Mice for smallmouths

I was wondering if anyone here has tried mice patterns (Whit's Mouserat etc.) with any success on smallmouths.

Want to know if they work on smallies before i tie a bunch :ph34r:

I picked up a fly fish america awhile back and a TN guide was raving about the "duck river gurgler" in the pattern section

basically its a gurgler that's kinda mousey...long story short i lost the magazine and improvised

duck river gurgler variant

hook: favorite bass bug hook (i tend to used a 1/0 but 2's are productive as well)

tail: chinchilla(sp?) rabbit strip 1/8 or smaller in width

body: either palmered rabbit or brown chenille

hackle: for chenille body i used brown or tan grizzly variant

legs: 2 rubber legs for each side

back: thin black 2mm foam 1st with dark brown 2mm foam over the black

the palmered rabbit strip bodies i use on the 8wt and the chenille i use for the 5 or 6wt

much quicker tie than deerhair bugs.

but yes mouse flies dominate smallies atleast here in NC :headbang:

early morning and evening/night are most productive, however, one of my largest smallies this year came on the DRG around 2pm on a sunny 90 degree day

good luck!

I have heard they work well. I never use them because the smallies where I live rarely get beyond 14 or so inches. No need to throw a big mouse at them. I wonder if you could tie one in say size 8 or 10 though??? HHHHHMMMMM

Haven't used them for smallmouths, but I like a no-trim mouse that was shown to me once. It's a relatively easy pattern for a deerhair pattern as you trim the hair to length and then tie it in tips back and bind the butts down until you get to the nose and trim the last stack for a tapered face. Stack it all along the top of the hook so that the fly sits low in the water and tie in longer budles to the back getting shorter as you move forward to give the whole thing a bit of a natural taper. Sorry I don't have a picture with me, but hopefully that gives you an idea.

Deeky

P.S. Yes, these can be tied very small. I think I actually tied one on a size 8 aberdeen hook once. Just use comparadun hair so that the bouyant part of the hair is close enough to the tip.

Here is the white mouse that I Ty!!!

post-12553-1229546533_thumb.jpg

I also Ty these in Black, black/white, brown, brown/white, natural & pink/white.

tyrite

Nice tie Isaac your brother is a very good tyer indeed :headbang:

Thanks. He is really excited about that tie. I think he is going to enter it in the FTOTY contest.

Nice tie Isaac your brother is a very good tyer indeed :headbang:

Thanks. He is really excited about that tie. I think he is going to enter it in the FTOTY contest.

He should, i need to enter too, just cant think of what to tie

Nice tie Isaac! Mouse flies work on just about every fish big enough to eat meat, including Smallmouths. If you know a stream that holds Smallmouth and trout a mouse is a GREAT choice during the low light hours because you'll hook up with bass and big trout. Around here (Western PA) there are a number of streams which hold Smallies, trout and Pike, and the mouse will give you some heart shocking moments!