Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Lance Kekel

Digi cam question

I'm looking for some assistance from you guys that have had Digital cameras for awhile. I'm buying one of the new Pentax 43WR cameras this week and need to buy some additional storage disks. Are any disks better than others? and if so why?? Researching the camera was easy but there seems to be little info on these. I'm thinking one 256 mg card in addition to the tiny 16mg that comes with it should suffice???? true??? We'll be in the U.P. for a week so no logging into the PC to dump pics.

I'd appreciate any help I can get, thanks!!

I've got one of the big cards in mine cant remeber the size but if i'm not mistaken it was like 116 or something like that,could be mistaken on the size but anyway its the biggest i could find and it holds over 120 pics on it.

I dont "think" i will ever have a need to have more pics than that on it because i usally download the pics on the puter and then clear the card.

If you get the big card and keep the small one you should have well over 150 pic between the two so i think you should be good IMO.

SD

I can't give you specifics but I've never worried about room on my Pentax WR-33 and I have half the memory you have. I think I can hold about 256 normal resoultion shots on my 128 meg card. Don't forget, you can delete bad shots and save room if you get despirate. Try the card you have, it's got a ton of space. I'd worry more about battery life. Regular carbon batteries seem to lose their juice awfully quick on that camera. Nickel Metal Hyrdride batteries work great and charge quick. I consider them to be 'must haves'.

I done good! That is a fine camera!

Make sure it has a macro mode and take some extra batterys the extra memory is nice to have also.

I would stick to a major brand name flash card or smart media card which ever it takes.

OSD.

there are different types of cards out there, be sure to pick the one that matches up with the format used by the camera. How many pictures you can store on a card depends on the resolution, and what format you store your pictures as (sometimes you can store them as jpegs, and sometimes you have the option to store as raw data).

steve

Thanks!

Different places recommended different brands and I wanted to make sure I got decent ones.

It's got a pretty great Macro mode on it, that combined with the waterproof capabilities are the two biggest reasons I picked it. It's gotten pretty good reviews everywhere I looked. It "says" I can get as close a 1cm. I may just have to test it out and tie a size 24 and take a pic to see all my flaws! huh.gif

After I get back from my U.P. trip and download all my pics I'll post how well it works.

fishinlk, one area that I have trouble with using the Pentax is in low light. At dusk the pictures aren't the greatest. Sometimes the flash wants to take over which limits the range. When I turn-off the flash the pictures are awful. You might want to study-up on proper low light picture taking with that camera.

I work at a small college and we have a bunch of different digital cameras. Storage is a big problem and the most common problem by far is with people who rely on big cards to keep pictures and accidently erase all the pictures. Don't forget that you will probably keep the pictures on your computer and back them up on CD's. I have a 64MB card and a 128MB card and I actually use the smaller card more since it keeps me from getting lazy and not backing up my important pictures. If you already have a good CD burner then a big card is nice but, in my opinion, not urgent. Good luck!

Peddler,

When you had problems in the low light conditions were you just running in automode with and without the flast or did you have the problems in the night scene/night scene portrait or sunset modes?

I'd go 256 on the memory card. You can hold a ton of pictures, and since the camera can do video and audio, you'll have the extra space if needed.

I have a 256 in my and I have never run out of space yet although I've come close a few times.

And absolutely positively pick up an extra battery or two. Nothing worse than running out of juice when you're on the river. You can higher mAh batteries on ebay for cheap.