Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
B.C.TroutHunter

Too much free time = wierd flies

B.C., you do some fine work, so it's tough to believe you're just beginning! I'd almost have to agree with General Cornpone ohmy.gif

Your work looks like it would serve you very well in any freestone stream or trout/salmon lake.

I have a couple suggestions: if you're planning to build nymphs, you might think about flipping the hooks, point up, on the eye weighted styles. You could tie that wonderful stonefly nymph the same way, hook up; should you choose to weight some of your flies, you can use copper or tungsten wire, fine electronics soldering wire, etc., wound on the hook shank.

I can't see more than one (1) wing feather in that darter streamer- did you use one or more?

I'm sure your work will impress MANY of the members! wink.gif

all i can say is WOW!!!!

those are some fine bugs. i bet they would catch anything that swims. great for trout especially.

i have been tying for about 5 years now, and most of mine dont look near as good as yours. you should be proud of yourself, those are great flies.

QUOTE (DFix @ Jul 15 2004, 12:42 PM)
I can't see more than one (1) wing feather in that darter streamer- did you use one or more?

I have a couple suggestions: if you're planning to build nymphs, you might think about flipping the hooks, point up, on the eye weighted styles. You could tie that wonderful stonefly nymph the same way, hook up; should you choose to weight some of your flies, you can use copper or tungsten wire, fine electronics soldering wire, etc., wound on the hook shank.

Yah, there is two badger feathers (plucked side by side from an indian rooster neck).

Thank you very much for the tip about turning the hook up DFix. I was already playing around with wieghing some flies by using 26 gage copper wire, and the minnow streamer pattern of mine has a wrapped copperwire underbody.

got any two-pair household phone wire hanging around??? it might be heavier gauge, but it still works. Another way to weight your hooks is to get some lead tape, like what is used to add weight to golf clubs. I'm sure you can find plenty to use to weight nymphs.

wink.gif Those are some great looking flies for a seasoned tyer, let alone a beginner. Keep up the good work! I wish I had started at your age! Now you just have to get out and play with 'em awile and see what they'll bring in.

It looks like your flies are adaptations of some standard patterns. I do the same when I'M "bored" and have come up with variations that really work for me. What you are doing shows natual intuition. I believe you will have a great future in your fly fishing exploits!!!

ENJOY!

AA

Man, those are some neat looking flies. Those will definitely catch fish. One of the great things about tying your own is that you can take a standard pattern and modify it a bit. Sometimes trout will take the new pattern and ignore the standard. Keep up the work and post your fly recipes. I know that I'll be watching for ideas. Also, for weight on flies, I use the wire from old extension cords. It is thin enough and flexible for wrapping on small flies; use two or three strands for bigger flies.

I just wanted to write to again say thank you all for your very kind comments, support, and tips. The new fly I posted in the Fly Tying database is Fly #2 with PT ribbing instead of brown thread, a 2x long nymph hook instead of the standard length hook, and it has the copper wire weighted underbody. Thanks again.