Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
MontanaBound

Flies for carp

At the local farm pond there are some huge grass carp. gave only caught them on spinning tackle with some blades of grass put on a hook. So i am looking for a fly that i can tie that will float and look like some blades of grass. any ideas would be great thanks

its just an idea but, you could put a piece a saddle hackel on the hook an make th skinny pice at the end tie in the stem and there you go

i will post pics later

ok great i have tried a lot of different things and nothing ever seems to float. i have tries copper wire with a saddle hackle wrapped in then tied to the hook so as to keep the hackle stiff and pointing out from the hook then added hackle to keep it afloat, but it is to heavy. i need something stiff to keep the feathers or whatever i use to stay in place even on the water and to no fold back and look like a leach fly. any ideas would be great, this one has eluded me for some time now and i hope it is just because of my inexperience.

I know a guy here that ties a very densely hackled green wooly bugger. For the tail he uses long green hackle and 3 long pieces of green chenille. He swears by it. Some of his flies have small flash in them too. I'll see if I can get one from him and post a picture.

he has other flies with green foam tied to the hook and trailed with green chenille at the back.

ok great i have tried a lot of different things and nothing ever seems to float. i have tries copper wire with a saddle hackle wrapped in then tied to the hook so as to keep the hackle stiff and pointing out from the hook then added hackle to keep it afloat, but it is to heavy. i need something stiff to keep the feathers or whatever i use to stay in place even on the water and to no fold back and look like a leach fly. any ideas would be great, this one has eluded me for some time now and i hope it is just because of my inexperience.

Get the closest color, to the grass,of 1mm tying foam u can get.Use green tying thread.Cut it the length of the grass.One end cut in the shape of a v and the other cut square.Bind to hook in the middle of the shank,wouldn't hurt to put some zapa gap on the shank.Cast to the carp and see if they bite.I have no experience with this,just a thought off the top of my head.Hope this helps.

shane

http://www.hatchesmagazine.com/blogs/isoemerger18/

check out my blog

At the local farm pond there are some huge grass carp. gave only caught them on spinning tackle with some blades of grass put on a hook. So i am looking for a fly that i can tie that will float and look like some blades of grass. any ideas would be great thanks

use green craft foam from a craft store and wrap it to the hook. Careful not to wrap to tight or it wont float as well.Then tie in some rafia , also from the craft store and color it with a green marker.

Fred

Grass carp love french fries so I throw in some old McDonalds french fries followed by a foam french fry fly. :bugeyes:

Try Futzer's Weedies. Cheers, Futzer.

Bodies are either Micro Chennile, or Magic Shrimp foil strips from Fly Tying Specialties.

post-16961-1237395342_thumb.jpg

You are right Dave, at our lake house on the Lake of the Ozarks there are restaurants that you drive your boat to and instead of throwing the food scraps away, you throw them into the lake and they just go crazy and i have been alowed one time to take a spinning rod (hadnt sstarted fly fishin yet)and cast into the frenzy. I didnt land one though

thanks alot guys i will try one of each. hopefully one will work, these suckers are huge. i hope my rod and reel will hold up.

Get some floating catfish food and throw a few handfuls in a particular spot every day for a few days. The grass carp love this stuff and will soon find it. Get some brown or tan chenille and tie a fly the same size and shape as a food pellet and fish with it when you throw out the real pellets. The carp will be there feeding--just cast your imitation in among the real pellets. I've caught several big ones this way, up to about 20 lbs. Good luck! Bill

I am looking to do some carp fishing and have tied the following flies.

I'll be doing it mostly on a river.

Brian

post-12875-1237517317_thumb.jpg

I am looking to do some carp fishing and have tied the following flies.

I'll be doing it mostly on a river.

Brian

Hi Brian, I will bribe you with some carp flies to hear (PM) where you are fishing river carp in the area. I hit Pineview and a couple secrets in SLC urban for carp.. Cheers Futzer.