Fly Tying
robow7

What epoxy for epoxy head minnows?

What's your favorite epoxy to use when you want to make just a few epoxy head minnows at a time? I have made some epoxy head minnows in the past with decent results using 5 minute epoxy but it sets up so quickly that I can't get many done before it starts setting up and then as it thickens too much, you of course get bubbles. I've also used rod finish as I also build rods and that does give me a longer pot life but I can't mix up much less than 1 teaspoon full and so I have to have a lot of flies ready to do at once or it gets expensive and wasteful. Thank you for your suggestions.

I don't use epoxy for my minnows. I have been using UV Knot Sense and the results are GREAT. If you do use it, you get a small UV light that comes with the kit. It dries in seconds after being hit with the light but it leaves a bit of a residue. I use a bit of Acetate and the residue is all gone.

I have not used anything else for a few years because the results are AWSOME!!!!

Rick

When doing epoxy heads, I have had best results using FlexCoat rod epoxy. I have also tried other methods, but found thru practice that it has given me the best results and working time. Yes it is beneficial to tie a bunch of flies at once so you are not waisting your materials. I usually plan ahead, tie a dozen flies, mix my epoxy and then place the flies on my turning wheel as I apply the epoxy to each one. Works for me and gives me great looking epoxy heads which are bubble free. The turning wheel is great for this purpose and allows you to work w/o worrying about how the epoxy will setup on the flie. Results are smooth, symetrical and bubble free. Have fun with the epoxy thing because it adds another aspect of interest to our tying pastime. :yahoo:

I use DEVCON epoxy. I like it as both parts are clear where as some epoxies are clear and yellow. It leave the heads crystal clear even after storage and heavy use. Just look for any epoxy where both parts are clear.

Good Day,

Epoxy? Not for this tyer... I prefer plasti-dip. (http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip) It comes in colors (including clear). Can be dried by hand or in a rotating dryer, doesn't crack, and is pre-mixed, unlike epoxy. If it starts to get thick, thin it with toluene/toluol. Since finding this I no longer use epoxy.

Steelie