Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
letumgo

Dirty Blonde

This is my addition to the Joe Brooks Blonde series of flies. I love these flies. They are easy to tye, they cast like a dream and most importantly they catch fish. I used equal parts yellow and green bucktail (mixed together) to form the wing of the fly. I like the look of the blended hair color.

I was tempted to put it in the saltwater section of the website, but ended up putting it in the cold water section.

Thanks guys.

Edit - Here is a link to a terrific Brooks Blonde article, written by Joe Cornwall (cornmuse):

A Party of Blondes

I was tempted to put it in the saltwater section of the website, but ended up putting it in the cold water section

Nice one Ray, a versatile tie useful everywhere and in all water. I'm going to tie some of these. Beautiful work Ray! Dave

Simply stated, this has got to be one of the prettiest bucktails I've seen. So basic, yet incredibly eye-catching. I'm sure if old Joe was around to see this, he'd be nothing less than flattered.

What color combos are you using?...and for what species?

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

Eric - This fly was tyed with smallmouth bass in mind. I intend to tye up some with blue&gray mixed wing and some with green&brown mixed wing. Heck, the color combinations seem endless, once you start thinking about them (i.e. - black/brown, black/blue, blue/yellow, orange/brown, chartreuse/pink, etc.).

I plan to convert my buckeye shiner bucktail (emerald shiner imitation) over to the Blonde tying style. These color combinations will cover most of the local baitfish. Like you say, they are pretty basic, but they are a lot of fun to tye and they work like a charm.

Caught my first smallmouth of the season on a dirty blonde... :D

post-4573-1272839435_thumb.jpgpost-4573-1272839453_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately I ended up donating the fly to a rock a few casts later. <_<

Never thought of the DB for smallies. Might have to add a few of these to the box. Thanks for sharing the pics.