Fly Tying

I've come to a point of fustration!!!!!!

Has it happened to anyone else? Everything i have tried to tie and the way that they look is just pathetic.

I can not seem to get anything right.The wings on my dry are to far further, the bodies just are not coming out the way they should either . Seem like every fly i touch does not come out looking anything the way it should. Every fly is out of proportion. The heads suck,the bodies to large,crowd the eye, that don't look right ,that should't look that way, Bla-Bla Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!

You get the picture.Everything just does not look like it should.

I"m HAVING A TYING BREAK

BREAKDOWN!!!!

What do you do when things seem to just fall apart?

tt

That happens to me sometimes, what you gotta do is leave it for a few hours or sometimes days and then BOOM you dont even think about what your doing and you tie a perfect fly. Basically, step away and then go back and dont even think about what your doing

Your flies are no were near what these look like. It seems like i am just starting at this again. I just don't seem like anything is what it should. Maybe i will stop and take another look in a few days. Just had to blow a little steam. I don't try to compare mine to others. To me it just seems nothing is coming out the way they should.

tt

I agree with riffleriversteelheadslayer. :boxing: Usually I walk away because mine on a good day look like what others walk away from so I walk away before I reach the point of no return. Yup. Just walk away for a bit or day ...or 2....3.... :jumpy:

Rick

When I look back at many of the flies I have of yours with the different swaps and the 'mystery swap', that we have shared over the years, I can't imagine you having too many problems.

Hope this message finds you and the family are doing well, hang in there, you'll get it right.

Have a good one

Pat Carroll

We all go through the rough patchs, when I first learnd to tie, I was breaking my thread left an right. Just about lost my mind!!! I learned a big lessom on thread tension. Don't know how many times I had to rethread my bobbin before the lightbulb came on!!!! Now I rarely break a thread......

Chill out man! if tying is getting that frustrating you are doing something wrong! I won't even tie commercially because I love tying and don't want it to become a job. I can sit down after a hard day and just relax, and it takes my mind off of the problems I may be facing. When I run into a tying problem I just slow down, take my time, and concentrate on the exact technique im workng on. Do not proceed to the next step until you are satisfied with what you have done so far. I have unwrapped fly's that I'm not satisfied with but I look at them as a learning opportunity and correct the errors on the next one. I'd be lying if I said I never got disgusted with my efforts and had to walk away from the vise, but I do it as soon as I realize things are going badly, and then realize that you are just having a bad day, it happens.

Take Care and have fun tying! Eric

dude - you gotta chill. first off, you will be more critical of your flies then any fish. take a break, switch patterns to something with less steps. pay attention to the proportions as you are tying, one common mistake is to use too much materials. You need less then you think and if you use less things will be less crowded. start your thread 2 eye widths back from the eye, this will reduce head crowding too.

I get this after a while. What I do is take a favorite fly, and tie it with half the material. To the point where you think it's too little. If you are crowding the head, then stop at a point on the hook that seems way to far back. over exagerrate everything but on the smaller scale. Then tie a couple flies like this. It cures it for me every time. I saw a speaker once talk about thi and I think it happens to many people. the flies I do this with, usually end up being my best looking flies. I think we all tend to over dress our flies at times.

Sounds like the problem is that you're seeing your errors after the fly is finished. To tie good flies, you've got to be able to recognize an error when it's happening or just after it's happened. Then undo your mistake and redo it as many times as are necessary till you've got it right. You'll find that the next time you come to that step that gave you trouble, you'll get it right a lot sooner. If you just let yourself do something wrong, you'll keep doing it wrong.

i think your finished, washed up, you should find another hobby,

BTW, send all your stuff to me, you won't be needing it anymore

:thumbsup:

Bud