Fly Tying
Guest TroutBum

What Vise do you use?

What is your primary vise?  

3,238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I use a vise i made myself. It is an Abel style with a cam jaw. I have a Montane mongoose but do not like the drag it has in the rotary function due to the nylon bearings. My vise has stainles ball bearings, pluss when I add the counter balance attatchment to the vise it has litterally no drag at all. Is the smoothest vise I have ever used.

Very interested in pictures if you have them, thanks.

I use a Dynaking Sidewinder. I was looking for something that I would keep for a lifetime and found it some years back. A fly shop on the internet was selling off all of their stock and I purchased the vise, gallows tool, extensions, extra jaws, etc., brand new for less than $200.00. I've invested in a custom midge jaw (other than the one that comes with the vise), and really enjoy tying on it. There was always a lot of talk about the centering adjustment getting in the way of your hand. I've never found it to be a problem.

Bruce

post-12890-1235190584_thumb.jpg

I forgot to mention in the previous post that I had Ron add an extension arm to the crank so I can easily rotate to see the back of the fly I'm tying. I saw this pictured in a photo from a FF catalog and spent a few dollars to have the conversion done at the factory.

Bruce

I use a Griffin Oddysey as main vise and an Anvil Apex for saltwater patterns and large hook sizes.

The Griffin is a great vise for the money and will do the job as well as those costing twice as much. I actually like the screw jaw clamp as it is less prone to overtightening although it does require two adjustments every time you change hook size as opposed to one on the lever type clamps.

Have been tying on the Griffin for about 5 years and no sign of any jaw wear unlike the Anvil which gets used much less and needs new jaws already, although in fairness to Anvil it has been used primarily for large tarpon and bone fish flies and I like to hold them really tight in the vise.

Paul

I started off with an Integra Royale III pedestal vice, still use and like it for tying basic flies, but don't like it for tying anything smaller than maybe a 14. I'm looking into a number of vises to supplement it, not sure if I'm going to splurge on a 'premium' vise or go with another knock-off and spend my $$$ on other fly-fishing related stuff.

Tight lines,

Jean

Ottawa, ON

i started with a wapsi kit vise. got a dyna king king fisher.then got a reagle w/ prdastal.loved em all but the reagle sure is nice.some of the features such as thepeg stand come in handy on the trail.

I tie on the vice that came with the kit i bought, its about as basic as vices get but it works great. I am thinking of upgrading to a rotary, What are the advantages to tying with a rotary vice?

Thanks Add

I just want to start off by saying a big hello to everyone on here, this is my first post on here. I used to use the vice that came in the starter kit that my father bought me for my birthday in my early teens. I just recently bought a Griffin Mongoose rotary vise and I must say that I am completely in love with it. Makes tying my custom poppers a breeze !!

Bru

Hello-

This is my first post to this forum and I guess it seems proper that the question of the vice comes first. I started with a cheap Model’ A" vice that came with my first flying "kit" from Cabala’s in 1982. I bought a Thompson model "A", and finally my Renzetti Traveler C-clamp that I later converted to a pedestal in 1995. I have used that same traveler to this date, and only last week bought the cam conversion jaws for it. I have tied flies from size 20 to 4/0 on it and it has performed flawlessly. I have found the rotary feature to be very useful.

Take care

Joe

Kingsport, TN

I'm not sure what vice it is that I have - can anyone help me?

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry354254

here's a link to a pic of it.

-Clint

It look like a Régal vise to me

Me i have 3 my first one was a cheep one i bought 30 years ago,after that i made my first vice like a renzetti,and after that (last week)i made my 3 vive like a norvice

vice.jpg

100_1138.jpg

I just got in to fly tying last year when a co-worker and I were on a project in Minneapolis. He recommended a Dyna-King Kingfisher. Guy at the store said he used the same vise at home. Inexpensive, excellent quality, and man, those teeth hold a fly. It's portable enough I could take it with me on trips. I haven't tied with other vises though, would love to try a Renzetti or a rotary vise. All in due time.

Berny V - those vises you made are awesome!! I can't imagine the skill involved in making something like that. I really like your use of brass on both of the vises too.

Greg

I've been using a Danvise, for the last 7 years or so. Reasonably priced, around $80. It's a true rotary, and I've tied flies on ranging from size 32 up to 5/0. Not very pretty, but it does it's job.

I started, and used for many years, the Griffin Spyder and have now went to a Peak.

Started out 47 yeas ago with a herters model 8 , the next was a thompson model A, sometime in the late 70's early 80's got a regal (use the pedestal and the table clamp) i have the thompson in a travel kit and still use the herters at my desk to crush barbs down..........the regal is the bomb