Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TnTom

Stripers on a Fly

I'm going to try Striper Bass on Old Hickory Lake in a week or so and wonder what your go to fly would be. Its a big reservoir here in middle Tn. I'm thinking big streamers, lots of Maribou?

I've seen some huge Stripers taken there on live bait trolling and the average is between 10lbs - 15lbs but 20lbs and up isn't rare at all. Hopefully the weather will straighten out here over the next week. It got really ugly yesterday.

I need to tie up something for deep, 15' to 30' and something for top water, a top water plug would be like a Zara Spook 4-5". I'm thinking spinning up BIG deer hair with long Maribou tails.

Any suggestions sure will be appreciated.

TnTom

I agree with Hairstacker, big Clousers, plus some Half & Half's. I would also have some Deceivers & Seaducers in my boxes.

I agree with Hairstacker, big Clousers, plus some Half & Half's. I would also have some Deceivers & Seaducers in my boxes.

Will search right now for Half & Half, Seaducers, and Decievers patterns. Do you have any pictures of these?

I have tied some Clousures (not as big as I will tie up now).

Thanks

Will search right now for Half & Half, Seaducers, and Decievers patterns. Do you have any pictures of these?

I have tied some Clousures (not as big as I will tie up now).

Thanks

I just searched the patterns data base and saw some good stuff. Didn't see the Half and Half or a Seaducer but saw a number of Clousers and Deciever patterns.

check out this site. www.ASWF.org Atlantic Saltwater Flyrodders. Great patterns and instructionals and is a group that Bob Popovics is a founding member.

Sounds like you are going to be fishing landlocked stripers so your stiper flys may need to differ from traditional saltwater patterns. Replicate whatever the lake supports. Big flys....Big Fish. Those flys mentioned will all work. Match colors with the local baitfish and you'll do great.

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures, but there are several Deceivers & Seaducers listed in the pattern database. I would first tie some that match the color & size of the local forage, then tie up a few attractors. I have had the most success with olive & white, grey & white or chartreuse & white for Clousers, Half & Half's & Deceivers, and Seaducers tied in basic white or chartreuse, with a red, chartreuse, or orange front have worked good. Sometimes Seaducer versions tied with grizzly hackle work good also. I like to tie grizzly sides on my Deceivers anyway.

I use these same patterns for Largemouth & Smallmouth Bass as well, and Pickerel will certainly eat them, so I tie them in many colors. In some of the tidal rivers I fish, I've caught LMB & Striped Bass in the same areas, and on the same flies.

For topwater, I like Bob's Bangers and Gurglers in various colors, but basically all white, or combined with some other color, like chartreuse works most of the time. I usually tie hackle tails on both types, as I like the action better than just using bucktail, but I do sometimes combine both materials for extra bulk. I tie the Gurglers with estaz bodies.

Most of my LMB & Striper flies are tied on size 1/0 to 3/0 hooks, and they're generally 4 to 8 inches long, but I have used smaller hooks & flies at times. Striped Bass are not usually picky, but they can key on a certain size bait sometimes, and refuse other sizes, so it's good to be prepared.

I tie many of my flies on O'Shaughnessy style saltwater hooks, since I fish a lot in brackish water, but I also tie on worm hooks (straight shank & offset) & spinnerbait hooks. I like the finer wire, as they penetrate well on the hook set, and they're still plenty strong for most size fish I catch, plus they usually have a wide gap for better hook bite. Both will work fine for school size Stripers. The only downside is they'll rust faster than a saltwater hook, but that's not been a big problem for me.

I hope this is some help to you!

TnTom,

I also fish for the zebras. I mainly chase them in the Cumberland river and J. Percy Priest lake on the fly. Best pattern for me this year is a 2/0 White and pink deciever. Last year I caught a lot on clousers and half and halfs. This year, for me, the deciever is the ticket. A seaducer works well too. Good luck, maybe I'll see you out there someday.

Go catch a fish,

Gary

TnTom,

I also fish for the zebras. I mainly chase them in the Cumberland river and J. Percy Priest lake on the fly. Best pattern for me this year is a 2/0 White and pink deciever. Last year I caught a lot on clousers and half and halfs. This year, for me, the deciever is the ticket. A seaducer works well too. Good luck, maybe I'll see you out there someday.

Go catch a fish,

Gary

Thanks guys. This is the first time I have ventured beyond the wadeing waters of the Stones, Elk,Duck, and Caney Fork river. Ive been busy getting my boat ready for the bigger water. My thoughts are to put in at the landing in South Carthage on the Caney Fork and work toward the Cumberland then either up the Cumberland River toward Cordell Hull or Down towards Old Hickory.

From the weather reports I can spend most of the time this weeks tying up some new stuff and it looks like I have some good choices. Talking possibly more severe storms tomorrow.

Gary where do you like to put in at. Do you ever fish out of Flippers Tackle in Gallatin?

Gettin Anxious

TnTom

One of my favorite ties for stripers along the New England coast is a huge black or yellow slider. I don't have one on hand at the moment nor do I have the materials to whip one up for you.

It's pretty simple to tie: An 8/0-9/0 Gamkatsu octopus, a backwards cork popper head, Spun black deer hair behind the head to the leaving about 1/3 of the hook shank open to tie in the tail. For the tail I use black bucktail or marabou, and black yak hair or kinky fider.

I first tied this to imitate a 9 inch black sluggo. I fish it fast and sporadic. Not sure how effective it will be in a lake, but if it is you will certainly have a ball. Sorry no pic. Hope the instructions help.

One of my favorite ties for stripers along the New England coast is a huge black or yellow slider. I don't have one on hand at the moment nor do I have the materials to whip one up for you.

It's pretty simple to tie: An 8/0-9/0 Gamkatsu octopus, a backwards cork popper head, Spun black deer hair behind the head to the leaving about 1/3 of the hook shank open to tie in the tail. For the tail I use black bucktail or marabou, and black yak hair or kinky fider.

I first tied this to imitate a 9 inch black sluggo. I fish it fast and sporadic. Not sure how effective it will be in a lake, but if it is you will certainly have a ball. Sorry no pic. Hope the instructions help.

Seems to me it would work. Sounds like it would also be good in the tributary (Caney tailwaters) too. I'm picturing it and will give it a shot. Thanks a lot.

TnTom

How has the fishing been in Japan? I was in Tokyo and Yoshimi last years and really enjoyed. It was all business but I did a lot of hiking on the weekends but didn't get in any fishing.

check out this site. www.ASWF.org Atlantic Saltwater Flyrodders. Great patterns and instructionals and is a group that Bob Popovics is a founding member.

Sounds like you are going to be fishing landlocked stripers so your stiper flys may need to differ from traditional saltwater patterns. Replicate whatever the lake supports. Big flys....Big Fish. Those flys mentioned will all work. Match colors with the local baitfish and you'll do great.

great site. I will use it for sure. The bait fish pattern probably the first. Super

thanks Tom

Glad I could help. Although, I just realized that I gave the instructions to you backwards. Also one added tip, cut the popper head a bit shorter or use a different hook (popper hook).

I haven't been able to fish much since I've been in Japan. I'm on a naval base and believe it or not, there isn't much beach access here. Going up to Fukuoka late this summer jiggin for giant squid and small tuna...should be fun. Can't wait to visit home in June. Just in time for the cahills and sulphurs!!!!

Glad I could help. Although, I just realized that I gave the instructions to you backwards. Also one added tip, cut the popper head a bit shorter or use a different hook (popper hook).

I haven't been able to fish much since I've been in Japan. I'm on a naval base and believe it or not, there isn't much beach access here. Going up to Fukuoka late this summer jiggin for giant squid and small tuna...should be fun. Can't wait to visit home in June. Just in time for the cahills and sulphurs!!!!

Im thinking, and my wife asks me not to do a lot of it, if your near Nagasaki how far is it to Sasebo. I was there too many years ago and recall the inland waters were spectacular.