Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
chollo23

swannundaze

Do a google search on it, I found at least one place that lists it for sale: Johns fly tying materials:

Johns Fly Materials 785 Little Hill St London On N5Z 1N1 Canada Fone 519 645 0932 Fax 519 645 1470 EMail [email protected]

MAY 10/09

The date seems to be pretty current. The swannundaze is listed below.

10 Swannundaze

SWANNUNDAZE

Oval plastic nymph body that you can stretch with hot water.

SWANNUNDAZE FINE 1/32" $1.75

76 Lt Transparent Amber 77 Dk Transparent Amber 78 Lt Olive 79 Dk Transparent Olive 80 Transparent Brown 81 Transparent Black 82 Clear 83 Transparent Amber 84 Transparent Pale Yellow 85 Transparent Pale Orange

SWANNUNDAZE MED. 1/16" $1.65

1 Cream 2 Beige 3 Tan 4 Ginger 5 Med Brown 6 Dark Brown 7 Caddis Green 8 Olive Dun 9 Dark Olive 10 Yellow 11 Orange 12 Pink 13 Silver Gray 14 Dark Gray 15 Black 16 Light Transparent Amber 17 Dark Transparent Amber 18 Light Transparent Olive 19 Dk Transparent Olive 20 Transparent Brown 21 Transparent Black 22 Clear 23 Transparent Med Amber 24 Transparent Pale Yellow 25 Transparent Palre Orange

I've still got a few remnants of Swannundaze in my materials. I know I used to use it a LONG time ago, maybe 25 years ago. IMO there are better alternatives available now. I think Swannundaze might have been the "original" plastic body material.

Yeah, I have some too, and its about that old. I rarely use it any more. The newer finer plastics are a lot nicer.

Good Day,

There are also other "tube" like materials on the market. However, I would say a tube like Swanundaze is superior to V or D rib for weaving....

Speaking of which, next time you can swing by a craft store like Micheal's, Hobby Lobby, or Jo-Anne fabrics, go take a stroll through the jewelry making supplies. Few tube materials, but lots of solid round plastic/rubber "ropes" if you will in a variety of colors, widths and yes... even glitter and glow in the dark! I have a bunch of these materials in my supplies and really enjoy them and the effect they have on the hook.

Steelie

not that it's worth worrying about, but the Swannundaze original stuff was solid and flat-lenticular in cross section. It did make nice nymph bodies and such, for the time.

Good Day,

Oops, you are correct. Can't thinkof what I was thinking of... :wallbash: Maybe i just wasn't thinking... hehe.

Steelie

Well Okay,Thanks Guys. I look up the websites and materials, and to the people who have some, what colors?

Well Okay,Thanks Guys. I look up the websites and materials, and to the people who have some, what colors?

None. Can't stand the stuff. I originally used it for ribbing for Kauffman Stones, woven bodies on caddis nymphs, and nymph overbodies. However, I can think of any number of better materials on the market today.

My personal preference would be Spanflex or Superfloss which come in a wide variety colors and sizes. These materials allow you to make nice thin bodies with an adequately similiar transparency. Swannundaze/Vrib can make some good looking flies, but even the smallest sizes were still pretty thick and the color assortment is limited. Hollow midge tubing is a reasonable alterative, but not quite as widely available and a lot more expensive than superfloss-style products. YMMV.

There are a lot of better materials for sale today as mentioned above. My favorite happens to be Liquid Lace because you can do so much with it.

okay If any one has med. brown thats what i'm looking for and i'm making The "Santiam Stone fly" and no other material works for that pattern so much appriecated if you can help.