Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
chollo23

swannundaze

i would also like to point out that the fly pattern says its for trout but it also works for steelhead, salmon, and Bass

Not to step in it. But the Santiam Stonefly can be tied with the other materials mentioned. As a matter of fact, most (if not all) flies can have material substitutions and still be highly effective. That's what I love about fly tying. Use what you have available, no need to search the world over for a particular material. Now that said, there are materials worth searching for, but swannundaze isn't one of them.

Orange Caddis

UPDATE: I noticed you are tying this pattern commerically. To find a steady supply of swannundaze would be challenging, I'd recommend trying some of the newer materials.

most (if not all) flies can have material substitutions and still be highly effective. That's what I love about fly tying. Use what you have available, no need to search the world over for a particular material.

:headbang: :headbang:

Yes Well that might be true in a normal situation, but this is a personal thing for me for the satiem stone fly was tyed by my instructor/ mentor and I need to get the material so he can tye me one last Satiam stone fly. For he's old and he had a stroke and I just want to see the fly before I lose the greatest person I know.

i'm looking at a piece of swannundaze and a piece of orvis body glass and there really is no significant difference.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=1571

is it really about the swannundaze? will this person not tie you that fly because it doesnt contain non existant swannundaze or an extremely close substitute?

your friend has been around for a long time and has seen things come and go. i think he would understand about the swannundaze being no longer available.

I have bought a lot of swannundaze, and will have for sale soon, pm me if interested in getting some. several hundred packages of it.

Seems like we're all in the same boat. Yes, pun intended. I have very little swannuaze left I'm just like everyone else. What I do have left is 25 30 years old. I can't find it anywhere and honestly. I prefer it over today's material. Today's material just doesn't seem to have the width. You should only need 5 to 7 wraps. Today's material takes more like double the wraps 10 to 14 wraps.

If you're not able to find the Swannundaze you're looking for you might consider the clear V-rib instead.  I found years ago, doing  bonefish flies that the clear v-rib over a darker color did allow the darker color to come through nicely... 

lDafNTM.jpg

the bottom fly is the clear v-rib over pink pearl flashabou to give you some idea of what I'm talking about...