Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
colbyjack

how do i tie this?

just courious if some one has instructions or a general idea how to tie this one. i tried searching looking to see if there was a step by step on it. but came up in the wrong area or just couldnt find it.

im looking for 1/124th oz or micro type jig for panfish. i dont have a pic of what i got but found this and its pretty close.

chartruese_micro_jig-181x119.png

it looks like a small jig head or bead head..... well kinda like making a scaled down version of a crappie bait. below is way to big though

2871127690103002994S500x500Q85.jpg

like these but maybe add a little more or some hackle or something to the body. same line as this but dress them up. if you want to tie your version and post a pic id appreciate it. im going to try to tie some wet flys or bluegill fly's i call them. i know this isnt hard for you experienced guys but im still green in the fly tying area.

hit me with what you got for ideas white,green,orange, or pink, colored micro jigs. thanks -chris

You might want to try a place that sells ice fishing supplies. They usually have some pretty small jigs.

just ordered some 1/124th oz jigs unpainted so ill have 36 to play with. now i just got to figure out what colors where and how im going to tie it. -chris

Looks like marabout for the tail with a touch of flash, microchenille (vernille) for the body and powder paint the head before starting. You might even add some rubber legs to the mix - no bluegill can resist rubber legs! I've also gotten 1/132 oz jigs in the past. Bass Pro Shops sometimes carry them. Post a pic when you finish.

TxEngr

heres what i tied. 1/124th oz jig. the one on the left is the jig i bought, the one on the right is my copy of it. couple things i noticed

1) i need more tail feathers

2) need hackle on head only not body ( not sure how to just get it there... i must had the hackle on wrong end of hook.)

pic isnt the greatest off my cell phone. -chris

copyjig.jpg

Looks good. You pretty much already figured out what needs to be done to more closely tie the store bought, so critiquing yor jig wouldn't really help. I did notice though that the Chenille on the store bought Jig looks to be a little thicker than yours, maybe try the next size up.

Chris, what you've tied looks good! That should catch a lot of fish! :headbang:

To tie a hackle collar like is on the jig you bought, just leave a little space when you tie the body, then tie the feather in & give it a couple of wraps. 2 wraps should be fine on a jig that small. You might want to have some tied both ways, can't hurt.

For what it's worth, IMO, many commercially tied jigs I've seen are over dressed, and sometimes results in the hook gap being closed off, which makes it difficult to hook the fish. You might be better off sticking with the chenille you're using. A little more marabou probably won't hurt, but don't over do it. :)

I doubt the fish will care either way. :rolleyes:

Since you asked for other photos, here's a few I tied up this weekend in different colors.....

jigs.jpg

Notice in the upper left that the fly is tied on a jig hook but uses bead chain eyes - so you don't have to have the lead to tie the fly.

TxEngr

The jig heads I used were size 10, 1/124 oz from Bass Pro except for the bead chain fly in the upper left which is a Mustad 32756 size 8 with a xsmall bead chain eyes. The heads are powder painted and then the eye added with black enamel.

TxEngr

Hey ColbyJack, Tie a few olive haresear beadheads. That will blow your jiggin buddies minds. Cheers Futzer.

i got a couple pics ill post tonight. pretty excited bout them.

also i hear guys talking about a foam spider used as a bobber with one of our small jigs under it. ever heard of that? how do i tie a foam spider.

i had a good weekend of fishing. the wife bought me a nice book on emergers type flies. i wanted more of a wet below the water book but thats what i ended up with. maybe i can get some ideas from that though.

-chris

Here's one version of a foam spider - there are several.

You can also use any popper or other floating bug for the same thing. Then you've got the surface and subsurface covered. We look forward to your pics.

TxEngr

well heres 2 that i tied. i used them all day. even got my first double of the season.

fishing09009.jpg

and i got these on them also. 10' crappie rod, ultra lite reel, and 6 poud test. not bad landing the 5 pound cat. took about 6 or 7 mins.... lol

fishing09011.jpg

and this was from the other day also. 37 bluegills 3/4 to 1 1/4 pounds. these jigs are really hitting the spot.

fishing09032.jpg

-chris

Now that's a nice mess of fish. You'll be eating well soon. So often you hear that to catch big bass, you must use big flies. But as you demonstate so well, small flies catch some pretty nice bass as well. And you get a mess of bream to go with it. Not a bad day on the lake!

TxEngr