Fly Tying
Jaka

My flies

How would you rate them  

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm not going to vote on how your flies look.

I personally don't think beginning tiers should get wrapped up in how they look.

Work on proportions and come to understand what certain material will do in the water. Remember it is the presentation that is most critical in catching fish.

A good looking fly usually catches more anglers than fish.

jaka, you had just posted this as I read it, a little while ago. I didn't know how to respond at the time. J. Johnson says it perfectly. Some of what follows might sound like blabber or me looking to hear myself talk, so take it with whatever seasoning you like.

I'm an old fan of books. In today's society, books are less popular than the internet, yet, one can't always get what one needs to learn or to understand a method from a website; conversely, the internet access you DO HAVE! to places like Pujic's On Line Fly Tyer, Fly Anglers On Line, the postings here in FTF or any one of countless thousands of websites will serve you very well. One thing you must remember is that no matter who the tyer is, each and every one has individual stylings and methods. Fly tying is a combination of knowledge of target species, observation, imagination, spatial relations; understanding light, shadows, profiles and area/regional preferences of your target specie(s).

The most important thing to do is to not develop bad habits for lack of instruction.

Work with the medium you have easiest access to. Do your best to get one or two books about your preferred fly stylings and target fish, written by respected authors. Ask US!- the memberships of the various web boards if we have experience doing, or our opinions on someone else's methods or what we've learned from some little tick of a member's instruction.

You will learn much; you will not be disappointed if you do so.

Lastly- any one of the flies you posted will do the job you intend it to do, which is to say have faith in your abilities.

So, I see the poll and think it is to see how people would rate the flies that they tie. Then, after I vote, I realize that there is a picture below. I rated mine as ugly and the picture of yours is better than anything I ever turn out, so I'd say yours are nice or better. But, like Appalacian Angler said...do they work for you? My ugly flies all get a couple of outings. If they get hits, they stay in the box. If not they go in the trash and a new attempt is made later. Keep up the good work.

I feel the same way as J.Johnson Jaka i didnt vote just because to me trying to get the perfect looking fly is just trying to please other tyers not to catch more fish.

Let me put it this way...I've been tying on&off for over 10 years and some of my flies that i tie alot look pretty good while others look like shit.gif but they both catch the same amount of fish!

I try to get advice/help from other tiers just so i can show my flies to someone else and not be ashamed of them,but if i'm tying for a trip then having the exact porportions arent THAT important to me unless i catch a fish with glasses and a degree in entomology huh.gif

So i didnt vote just because thats something you shouldn't worry to much about...but i'd say they look pretty nice to me.

SD

Thanks guys. I must say thet theywork for me. I also have very very ugly flies but I'm same of them. I publish some flies that I think they are some of my best looking flies.

But I must admit that when I go fishing I use ugly flies most of the time

Isn't anyone results oriented anymore?

Let the Queer guys tell you how pretty they are...

Let the fish tell you if they work...

And then tell me...

I think J. Johnson said it perfectly, If you want to get into the Art of fly tying thats great its pretty much what I do but you'll be traveling down a whole different road. Check out this sight [ www.skogmus.no ] then click on Mustad Scandinavian Open. The winning flys are as close to perfect as you can get, but none are totally perfect thats the quest. The contest is for the best tyed fly not the best fishing fly thats where the different road comes in the two will rarely come together. The picture of the winning dry fly is mine and one of three that I've taken so I do know a little on that journey.

they look nice enough to catch fish, which to most people is the most important thing. i have a lot of patterns that i have made up off the top of my head that catch fish, some being pretty, some downright ugly. Don't worry about what other people think of your flies, worry about what the fish think.

I also tie the classical patterns, but I'm a sucker for off the wall, personal recipes, and patterns from the other side of the world that no one around here has seen before. Sometimes I tie just to tie, I have a box full of "creations", some work, some don't, some were just to relieve the stress of a normal day.

steve

plumbob,

Took a look at the site you listed, awesome job on winning the contest. That dry was beautiful thumbsup.gif

It's great to have you here on the site!