Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
seanrus

Starling Skin

Spring with the breeding plumage and the feathers are not worn and broken. Just be sure to clean it well and treat for pests.

In the spring the males look like this pic in their breeding plumage. The beak turns yellow during this period. In the early fall the feathers become tipped with white.

DPP_Starlings1.jpg

Never knew these were of any value.... we got our soffets etc torn off from a tornado and these guys promptly setup shop in the pieces that were left hanging. We live in a nice neighborhood - I am now known as "that guy who sits in his driveway with a pellet gun guzzling beer and staring at his house".

I've taken one in very late spring, and one mid summer and liked the late spring birds better. Now I don't bother anymore, they are cheap 5 to 10 bucks. It's much easier than cleaning the thing.

It would be great if I could buy 1 but no body sells them around here and can't get them shipped through the border

Seanrus do they not go to PEI? WE have them here, but I bought mine for $3 plus a dollar shipping from some kid on ebay. It is so expensive to ship to Canada. I have three turkeys on the trading section and the only people who wanted to trade were Canadian. It was almost 200 dollars to export a turkey skin worth ten to 20 bucks.

Are they protected in Canada? I would post in Canadian Craigslist wanted section or sports.

I call them sky rats here. They are everywhere including every vent that isn't protected. Just had to dislodge one from my bathroom fan two weeks ago.