Fly Tying
Arkansas Mike

Classic Dry Fly Swap

Hi John -

Indeed the name of that fly is just 'Catskill', with a orange floss body, sparse palmered brown hackle over the length of the body, the tail and wing are either wood duck or dyed lemon mallard (typical sub for wood duck), the wing is tied upright and divided.

You can make your own wood duck substitute by making a strong cup of tea and soaking natural mallard flank for 30 mins and then rinse... you might have to repeat depending on tea strength, etc.

I'm looking forward to your tie.

Best,

Greg

Great, JohnR. I love Catskills. Let me know which one you're going to do.

Hey Mike,

Its one I learned at FAOL but the only name given was "Catskill".

I have a picture of my first attempt at it - done almost a year ago when I first started tying. I'll need to take a picture of more recent attempts sometime. I believe my skills have improved a good bit since then. Particularly my proportions and the hackling job too. But, the picture will give you some idea of what I intend to tie.

catskill1.jpg

Thanks for allowing me to join!!

JohnR

You can make your own wood duck substitute by making a strong cup of tea and soaking natural mallard flank for 30 mins and then rinse... you might have to repeat depending on tea strength, etc.

That's a cool tip, Salty. Thanks. Is there any advantage to making your own this way as opposed to just buying mallard flank dyed wood duck tan/gold?

Excepting, of course, if you happened to have a huge supply of natural mallard flank.

Mike

I find it looks a bit more like the real thing, some of those dye jobs look really fake. Also I have never been happy with the quality of the actual feathers in the dyed versions, they always seem all twisted around and curled up. But its also good if you blasted a lot of duck during hunting season :bugeyes:

But its also good if you blasted a lot of duck during hunting season :bugeyes:

I have a large ziplock bag full of natural mallard flank I've picked up along the banks of my two ponds. I gather them up when I'm down there fishing. Guess it is time to brew some tea. Thanks again for the tip, Salty.

Mike

Got the wulff's done today, also found some moderately old capt hamilton partridge hooks size 12 that I used for this batch.

ready for the addy please.

Got the wulff's done today, also found some moderately old capt hamilton partridge hooks size 12 that I used for this batch.

ready for the addy please.

I'm looking forward to seeing your Wulffs, Salty.

Addy on the way.

Mike