Fly Tying
silverbullet32

Danica DanVise

I own and use the Danvise and so far I am fairly happy with it. I have found that now that I am tying deer hair it does'nt seem to hold as well as I would like. We also have a Danvise guru here at FTF in Al Beatty. When I screwed my jaws by over tightening them and causing them to flare, he was quick to get a new set out to me. Now I am a little gun shy of tightening down on a hook too much. That's probably the reason my hooks slip while spinning deer hair. So while Danvise is good and their service is good, I think I will be looking at either an Anvil or HMH product in the future, leaning towards that lifetime warranty at Anvil tho.

I own and use the Danvise and so far I am fairly happy with it. I have found that now that I am tying deer hair it does'nt seem to hold as well as I would like. We also have a Danvise guru here at FTF in Al Beatty. When I screwed my jaws by over tightening them and causing them to flare, he was quick to get a new set out to me. Now I am a little gun shy of tightening down on a hook too much. That's probably the reason my hooks slip while spinning deer hair. So while Danvise is good and their service is good, I think I will be looking at either an Anvil or HMH product in the future, leaning towards that lifetime warranty at Anvil tho.

HMH is a lifetime gaurantee also! :headbang:

yeah i make alot of bass poppers and i love spinning deer hair so it looks like the danvise is out of the question

thanks guys

Loren

Right now I have a piece of crap, $20.00 waste of metal.

And why exactly do you want to replace it with an even more expensive waste of plastic? Are you looking to make the same mistake twice?

Either spend the extra money and get a good vise that will last from one of the major companies (HMH, Renzetti, Dyna-King), or just lower your sights and settle for something like a Griffin 2A which lacks the bells and whistles, but will still hold a hook well. I'm not sure why you can't get a decent vise for less than $100, but you can't.

I am a big fan of my apex anvil vise. Had it for 2 years, not one complaint. I do tie a lot of trout flies, but not many big flies, so I don't know how it will hold up to spinning a lot of hair, but overall I have used both the pedistal and the c-clamp and liked both very much. I went into the fly shop to buy a peak with midge jaws, came out with an apex after tying on them $100 richer and have not looked back since.

Hope this helps

C

Spinning deer hair, eh? Either the HMH with Mag jaw or the DK Kingfisher I'd say is your best bet and the closest to your price range. The HMH is more user friendly IMHO.

ok, thanks guys. yeah i am an avid trout fisherman, but i am also a bass fisherman. for some reason i love tying bass poppers. i think its because i can tie them up in wild colors, make up my own, and do whatever, it seems that people get mad when i try to tie trout flies because they arent the certain way the professionally tied one looks like.

thanks guys

Loren

Bass Pro has the Griffin Spider Vise for $84.99 which is very nice.

this is my curretn vise,the odyssey spider...I have tyed over 700 flies on it without any problems ,,i love it...

shane

I agree that your vise is a waste of metal lol. I have not had a dan vise but i have heard alot of people say bad things about it. I cant tell you if this is true but i have heard alot people say that it is all held together with a large plastic screw. A couple of people said that two days after they got it that plastic screw broke and the whole thing was garbage. 85 bucks gone dont know if thats true but i have heard people say that. Roby

yea ithas a plastic screw but if they looked into it after it broke there is a guy out of boise that suplies stores like cabelas with the danvise's and he sells replacemnt parte and from what ive noticed they are not badly priced

what kind of flys will you tie with it? the biggest thing besides the resin with the danvise is that behind the jaws there isnt a lot of room so if you are tying big streamers or popper bugs you would want to spend the like i think its $30 for a jaw extension...and after paying that extra money id just go with a different vise...i got the griffin blackfoot mongoose vise and i am really pleased with it...it beats the hell out of my old cabelas master vise...i got it from one of there kits also and it wouldnt hold hooks so i upgraded and ive already broke a few hooks with my mongoose

yeah i make alot of bass poppers and i love spinning deer hair so it looks like the danvise is out of the question

thanks guys

Loren

I've got a Danvise and can testify that it's not the best way to go if you want a "muscle vise", for larger flies. I didn't find it very stabile... and I also thought that what I'd been told about the jaws quality was quite an overstatement. I've also got a Griffin Montana Mongoose and have had a Griffin Fine Point... and after those, I decided that I knew what I needed to know about Griffin's work too.

The vises I use today are both from Dyna-King... a Barracuda and a Supreme. I'll tell you, the Dyna-King line will offer you a vise that will hold a hook... and comes with quality that will make it able to serve you for many years. I haven't had mine for VERY long myself, but I know several who have been using theirs for up to 20+ years.

I second the guys who have already recommended you the Kingfisher...

/Nick

OK here is my 2 cents. I know you are unhappy with the Cabela's but why spend $100 dollars on something you might want to get rid of and upgrade in 2 years? My suggestion, and I know it's not easy to do, but suck it up and keep tying on the Cabela's for a while, put your $100 away and save until you have the money to get a vice that you will be completely happy with for a long, long time. Sorry...a bit of a new vise buzz kill but.... :dunno: If you're just not willing to pay more than $100 for a vise, which is understandable in its own right, then try to find a used quality vise or settle for the Danvise or Apex. I tyed on a $40 Thompson vise for about 6 years, tried a Danvise that was given to me as a gift but really felt uncomfortable on it, then finally upgraded to a Regal and am still tying on it and completely happy with it. Basically for another $75-150 you can get any number of vises that you should really be happy with.

Griffin blackfoot Mongoose i thought i saw it online for about 100.00 or 120.00 i used that for tying up alot of poppers hoppers and trout flys, all metal construction and I loved it still use it over my nor vise on certain things

i will agree with you that if you spend the extra money, you get better quality. but i said i wanted to spend under 100 bucks, then i said if i was gonna spend 150 i would spend 40 more and get the renzz, but i cant afford that at the moment and especially my level of tying. in the future i would love to have one but i just cant spend that type of money. i need a good vise for under 110 bucks. i know you guys are thinking im just a penny pincher but thats all i got for a vise. i have more important things i have to save and spend my money on. thanks for the advice though.

Thanks

Loren

I actually got my travelar for a c-note at my local fly shop. I remeber walkin in to Bob's shop with a $200 gift cert. and tellin Bob "I want a vice and a reel, what can ya do for me?" He said " have this reddington reel for a hun and if you want you can have this used Renzetti for a hun." I bought em both 3 1/2 years ago and have never looked back! I just checked it out and found a griffin odessey spider for 85! IMHO a far superior vice, and it's 15 bux cheaper!

OK here is my 2 cents. I know you are unhappy with the Cabela's but why spend $100 dollars on something you might want to get rid of and upgrade in 2 years? My suggestion, and I know it's not easy to do, but suck it up and keep tying on the Cabela's for a while, put your $100 away and save until you have the money to get a vice that you will be completely happy with for a long, long time. Sorry...a bit of a new vise buzz kill but.... :dunno: If you're just not willing to pay more than $100 for a vise, which is understandable in its own right, then try to find a used quality vise or settle for the Danvise or Apex. I tyed on a $40 Thompson vise for about 6 years, tried a Danvise that was given to me as a gift but really felt uncomfortable on it, then finally upgraded to a Regal and am still tying on it and completely happy with it. Basically for another $75-150 you can get any number of vises that you should really be happy with.

i cant agree with you any more. i mean my vise still holds hooks pretty good, just a little movemnet, but im scared to crimp down on the hook too hard so that i dont smash it and break it. i just think i have it in my mind that to be a good tyer i need a fancy vise. i dont know why. i guess i will wait util this one starts worsening, but thanks for the advise

Loren